Oregon Culinary Institute
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (January 2014)|
Oregon Culinary Institute (OCI) is a privately owned, for-profit, accredited trade school located in Portland, Oregon, United States. Part of the Pioneer Pacific College system, it offers programs in culinary arts, baking and pastry, and restaurant management, with a curriculum to prepare graduates for the food-service industry. OCI's campus is located in the Goose Hollow neighborhood of southwest Portland, and includes a restaurant staffed by students. Their slogan is "Training Kitchen Ninjas".
In 2006, veteran culinary instructors Eric Stromquist and Brian Wilke left their teaching posts at Western Culinary Institute to create their own cooking school. Stromquist, a sommelier/manager, and Wilke, a chef, partnered with Pioneer Pacific College to create Oregon Culinary Institute, emphasizing small class sizes, hands-on instruction and the ethical and social responsibility aspects of food.
Eric Stromquist serves as campus president with Brian Wilke as executive chef; as of 2014, the staff is composed of approximately 20 culinary and education professionals. Stromquist previously worked for Jake's Famous Crawfish, McCormick & Schmick's, and Hot Lips Pizza.
Facilities and programs
OCI's programs are taught in a 10,000 square foot (930 m2) campus that includes lecture classrooms and three computer labs.
OCI also offers wine classes from sommelier Maxine Borcherding.
As an extension of the culinary arts, baking and pastry, and restaurant management classrooms, OCI has an open-to-the-public restaurant able to accommodate up to 50 guests. Students prepare and serve all lunches and dinners. The restaurant is open Monday through Friday, offering a three-course lunch and a four-course dinner.
Oregon Culinary Institute is fully accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools. This includes recognition from the U.S. Department of Education and the Oregon Office of Degree Authorization.
- "Restaurant". Oregon Culinary Institute. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- "Educating Tomorrow's Culinarians". Northwest Palate. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- "Executive Profile: Eric Stromquist". Portland Business Journal. October 24, 2009. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- McKeever, Amy (July 26, 2013). "Vitaly Paley on Affordable Culinary Schools". Eater. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Pokorny, Kim (April 22, 2013). "Edible Garden tips for Spring from Chef Dan Brophy of Oregon Culinary Institute". The Oregonian. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Hoffman, Maggie (January 30, 2014). "Ask a Sommelier: The Best Wine for Roast Chicken". Serious Eats. Retrieved January 31, 2014.
- Levine, Sara (February 13, 2014). "How to make a perfect chocolate soufflé". Food Network. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- Manzano, Alexandra (July 21, 2010). "Cheap Eats: Oregon Culinary Institute". The Oregonian. Retrieved December 16, 2013.