Oregon Geographic Names
|Oregon Geographic Names|
|Author||Lewis L. McArthur (editor)|
|Subject||Oregon place names|
|Publisher||Oregon Historical Society|
|Publication date||1928 (1st edition); 2003 (7th edition)|
|Pages||1073pp (7th edition)|
|ISBN||ISBN 0-87595-278-X (7th edition)|
Oregon Geographic Names is a compilation of the origin and meaning of place names in the U.S. state of Oregon, published by the Oregon Historical Society. As of 2011[update], the book is in its seventh edition and is compiled and edited by Lewis L. McArthur.[note 1]
In its introduction, it identifies six periods in the history of the state which have contributed to the establishment of local names:
- The thousands of years of Native American life;
- The period of Spanish, British, French and early American exploration, with arrivals by sea and overland, exemplified by the activities of the Hudson's Bay Company and the Lewis and Clark Expedition;
- The pioneer period, up to and particularly including the days of the Oregon Trail;
- The period of Indian Wars and mining claims inspired by the California Gold Rush and later facilitated by the Mining Act of 1872;
- The period of homesteading between 1875 and 1925, which affected nine million acres (36,000 km²); and
- The modern period of neologisms
The first three editions were edited by Lewis A. McArthur and published by Binford & Mort; Lewis L. McArthur took over from his father as of the fourth (1974) edition, which was the first to be published by the Oregon Historical Society Press.
The seventh edition contains 6252 entries, with references to another 2679 names scattered throughout the text.
|Year||Edition||Editor||Publisher||Pages||Library of Congress
|1928||1st||McArthur, Lewis A.||Binford & Mort||450pp.||LCCN 28-6175|
|1944||2nd||McArthur, Lewis A.||Binford & Mort||581pp.||LCCN 45-36769|
|1952||3rd||McArthur, Lewis A.||Binford & Mort||686pp.||LCCN 53-95|
|1974||4th||McArthur, Lewis L.||Oregon Historical Society||835pp.||ISBN 0-87595-038-8||LCCN 72-86812|
|1982||5th||McArthur, Lewis L.||Western Imprints (Oregon Historical Society)||839pp.||ISBN 0-87595-113-9||LCCN 82-18808|
|1992||6th||McArthur, Lewis L.||Oregon Historical Society||957pp.||ISBN 0-87595-236-4||LCCN 92-17234|
|2003||7th||McArthur, Lewis L.||Oregon Historical Society[note 2]||1073pp.||ISBN 0-87595-278-X||LCCN 2003-20467|
- Book publishing in the Oregon Encyclopedia
- McArthur, Lewis A.; Lewis L. McArthur (2003) . Oregon Geographic Names (Seventh ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. ISBN 0-87595-277-1 (trade paperback), ISBN 0-87595-278-X (hardcover) Check
- Welch, Bob (June 22, 2008). "When studying Oregon names, McArthur reins [sic]". The Register-Guard. p. C17. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- Welch, Bob (September 9, 2008). "Place name takes its place on the map". The Register-Guard. p. B13. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- Richard, Terry (December 26, 2009). "Opie Dilldock Pass? Noti? What's in an Oregon name?". Retrieved 2012-02-03.