|Founded||1989, Portland, Oregon|
|Key people||Michael Prager, President|
|Products||weather stations, cameras, clocks|
Oregon Scientific, Inc. is a manufacturer of electronic products including radio-referenced clocks, home weather stations, public alert monitors, youth learning aids, and fitness devices. The firm was started in 1989 in Portland, Oregon, United States. In 1997, the company became a fully owned subsidiary of IDT (Integrated Display Technology), a Hong Kong based company.
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (January 2013)|
OSI and its parent company introduced the world's slimmest MP3 player and the first digital, personal monitor for air quality. The company is known for its WeatherNow award-winning weather station built for home use that uses FM radio signals from MSN Direct to provide 4-days of regional weather information. Oregon Scientific made the first stand alone waterproof mp3 player.
In 2007, CES Innovations award winners included the ATC2K Waterproof Action Cam, the Talking Wireless BBQ/ Oven Thermometer and the WeatherNow II. Their Pendant MP3 Player and Waterproof MP3 player received awards for innovation at the 2005 Consumer Electronics Show. In 2003, OSI partnered with SMaL, Axia, and Fuji Film to produce the world’s smallest digital camera. Other products include a waterproof digital video camera, an alarm clock designed by Philippe Starck (a French designer), a pedometer that keeps seven days worth of data, and an electronic UV monitor among others. The company introduced the Meep! tablet marketed for children in 2012.
In 2000, one of the company's weather radios was recalled for errors in reporting severe weather warnings.
In 2005-06, the company opened its own retail stores with locations in Los Angeles, Palo Alto, and Tualatin. These stores round out their retail locations currently in Italy, China, Singapore and Hong Kong.
- Meyers, Sean. For the coolest in Oregon gifts it's Oregon Scientific. Portland Business Journal, November 24, 2006.
- CES Innovations 2005 Awards Honorees
- Mass High Tech: The Journal of New England Technology: Resellers sign up for new SMaL camera
- CONNECTED TRAVELER. By: Brandon, John, PC Magazine, 08888507, 6/5/2007, Vol. 26, Issue 12.
- Happy Holidays. By: Jacobs, Shayna. Potentials, Jul2007, Vol. 40 Issue 6, p11-18,
- Watch Your Steps. By: Passy, Charles. Money, Jul2007, Vol. 36 Issue 7, p118-119.
- Don't Burn, Baby, Don't Burn. By: Armstrong, Larry. Business Week, 7/3/2006 Issue 3991, p114-114.
- Goldfield, Robert (October 2, 2012). "Oregon Scientific aims for kid computer market". Portland Business Journal. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission: Weather Radios Recalled by Oregon Scientific
- Brinckman, Jonathan. Bringing home the buzz. The Oregonian, March 30, 2006.