Oregon State University Ecampus
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (May 2014)|
Oregon State University Ecampus is the online education unit of Oregon State University. In partnership with the institution's faculty and staff, OSU Ecampus develops and delivers courses, degree programs and certificate programs online and at a distance to students worldwide. Ecampus courses and programs are delivered fully online or in a hybrid (blended) format that combines virtual learning with face-to-face instruction.
Oregon State Ecampus is a unit within OSU Extended Campus, which is overseen by OSU's Division of University Outreach and Engagement.
Oregon State University first's foray into distance education was in the 1930s, when it delivered pioneering programs in Portland, Oregon, and on the Oregon coast. OSU's first complete distance degree program was offered in liberal studies via correspondence and video in the 1980s. In 1982, liberal studies courses were offered at Central Oregon Community College in Bend, Oregon, which paved the way for OSU’s first distance degree program in liberal studies.
In 2002, OSU converted its Distance and Continuing Education program into OSU Ecampus – as the unit exists today – and began building full-fledged online degree programs. Ecampus is now under the leadership of Lisa L. Templeton, who assumed the role of executive director in November 2009.
Oregon State Ecampus partners with more than 500 OSU faculty members annually to develop and deliver programs and courses online. Ecampus delivers undergraduate and graduate degree programs, graduate certificates and more than 900 courses online.
Students who pursue an education online with Oregon State earn the same diploma and transcript as OSU's on-campus students. OSU's online courses have the same learning objectives and student learning outcomes as the university's on-campus courses.
OSU courses online
Oregon State offers nearly 1,000 classes online each year in more than 90 academic subjects. Working with Ecampus instructional designers to build an online course, OSU faculty use animations, readings, videos, conferences and other interactive materials for students online. OSU employs a separate effort to measure quality of its existing online courses. Quality Matters, a Maryland-based nonprofit group, offers a means to evaluate and certify the design of online courses.
OSU degrees online
Ecampus delivers more than 35 undergraduate and graduate programs online, with some hybrid programs that feature face-to-face components.
Undergraduate degree programs
Students can earn a bachelor's degree online from Oregon State in the following disciplines:
- B.S. in Agricultural Sciences
- B.A./B.S. in Anthropology
- B.S. in Computer Science (post-baccalaureate)
- B.A./B.S. in Economics
- B.S. in Environmental Economics and Policy
- B.S. in Environmental Sciences
- B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences
- B.A. in German
- B.S. in Horticulture
- B.S. in Human Development and Family Sciences
- B.A./B.S. in Liberal Studies
- B.S. in Natural Resources
- B.A./B.S. in Political Science
- B.A./B.S. in Psychology
- B.A./B.S. in Sociology
- B.S. in Sustainability (double degree)
- B.A./B.S. Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies
Graduate degree programs
Oregon State also offers graduate programs online and at a distance, some of which can be completed fully online while others include a face-to-face component.
- MBA in Executive Leadership
- Ed.M. in Adult Education
- Ed.M. in K-12 Education
- M.S. in Counseling – School Concentration
- Ph.D. in Counseling
- Ed.D. in Education – Community College Leadership
- M.S. in K-12 Science or Mathematics Education
- M.S. in Science or Mathematics Education – Free-Choice Learning
- Master of Engineering in Industrial Engineering (focused on engineering management)
- Professional Science Master’s in Fisheries and Wildlife Administration
- Master of Natural Resources
- M.S./M.H.P. in Radiation Health Physics
Graduate certificates and endorsements
- Graduate Certificate in Fisheries Management
- Graduate Certificate in Geographic Information Science (GIS)
- Graduate Certificate in Management for Science Professionals
- Graduate Certificate in Public Health
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainable Natural Resources
- Graduate Certificate in Urban Forestry
- Graduate Certificate in Water Conflict Management
- Graduate Certificate in Wildlife Management
- ESOL/Bilingual endorsement
Ecampus serves students in all 50 states and more than 40 countries. OSU's distance learners include full- and part-time students, working and retired professionals, community college students, active-duty and retired military, high school students and lifelong learners.
In the 2012-13 academic year, 13,580 students enrolled in at least one Ecampus course.
Each year hundreds of learners earn their OSU degrees after completing course work online through Ecampus. A record 501 distance students received their diplomas from OSU in June 2014.
All OSU Ecampus courses are developed by Oregon State faculty members. Each year, OSU instructors share best practices in online teaching with features interactive discussions at the Ecampus Faculty Forum.
Awards and recognition
Oregon State Ecampus has earned numerous honors as a provider of online education in recent years. These distinctions are based on a variety of factors, including "academic quality, support for students, student satisfaction, market credibility and prestige."
The following honors have been bestowed upon Ecampus in the past several years:
- Best Online Bachelor's Program – U.S. News & World Report (2014)
- Smart Choice 25 Best Online Colleges – SuperScholar (2012, 2013, 2014)
- Nation's Best Public Online Colleges – Affordable Colleges Online (2013)
- The 30 Best Online Colleges – TheBestSchools.org (2012, 2014)
- Top 20 Online Colleges – TheBestColleges.org (2011)
- OSU Ecampus About Us
- OSU's Hybrid Course Initiative
- Outreach and Engagement at Oregon State University
- The Story of Oregon State Ecampus
- Online by degrees: Oregon universities follow different courses into the e-future
- Oregon University System: Oregon State Ecampus At a Glance
- Click your way towards a college degree
- Ecampus adapts OSU courses
- Online classes require new quality controls
- Chemistry and Lab Courses – Online
- Online foreign language courses
- OSU undergraduate degree programs
- OSU graduate programs
- Oregon State Ecampus at a glance for journalists
- OSU Extended Campus
- Oregon Senate approves distance education agreement bill
- Oregon State to Graduate Record Number of Online Students
- We're Accredited
- Ecampus Faculty Forum 2013
- At our best
- Oregon State University: Best Online Bachelor's Program
- Smart Choice 25 Best Online Colleges – SuperScholar
- Nation's Best Public Online Colleges – Affordable Colleges Online
- The 30 Best Online Colleges – TheBestSchools.org