Oryol State University
|Oryol State University
|Орловский государственный университет
|Rector||Fyodor Stepanovich Avdeev|
Oryol State University (Orlovskiy gosudarstvenniy universitet; OGU or OSU), formerly Oryol State Pedagogical Institute/University, is the university in Central Russian city Oryol. OSU opened in 1931 as Industrial-Pedagogical Institute. Today OSU is a member of Association of the Classical Universities of Russia.
Officially, the Oryol State University was founded in 1931 with the establishment of Orel Industrial-Pedagogical Institute (Орловский индустриально-педагогический институт). But even in 1918 in Oryol opened Lenin Oryol Proletarian University (Орловский Пролетарский университет имени В. И. Ленина), which includes 5 departments: Department of Natural Sciences, Department of Health, Department of Humanities, Mathematical and Agronomical Departments.
In 1932 it was renamed to Oryol State Pedagogical Institute (Орловский государственный педагогический институт; ОГПИ), and in 1993 - to the Oryol State Pedagogical University (Орловский государственный педагогический университет; ОГПУ). In 1996 OSPU received the status of a classical university and renamed to the Oryol State University.
There are 17 faculties in OSU and 2 institutes:
- Faculty of Physics and Mathematics
- Faculty of Philosophy
- Faculty of Technology, Business and Service
- Faculty of Philology
- Faculty of History
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Economics and Management
- Faculty of Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Foreign Languages
- Graphic arts faculty
- Faculty of Documents and Academic Education
- Faculty of Pedagogy and Psychology
- Faculty of Social Pedagogy and Social Work
- Faculty of Physical Culture and Sports
- Faculty to work with international students
- Faculty of Pre-University Training
- Faculty training and retraining of specialists
- Medical Institute
- Institute of Aesthetic Education
- "ГОУ ВПО ОГУ (Overview)" (in Russian). Oryol: OSU. 2008. Retrieved 18 February 2011.