|• Total||4.850 sq mi (12.561 km2)|
|• Land||4.746 sq mi (12.291 km2)|
|• Water||0.104 sq mi (0.270 km2) 2.15%|
|Elevation||26 ft (8 m)|
|• Density||74/sq mi (28/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature IDs||230092, 2611444|
Orick (formerly, Arekw, Orekw, and Oreq, Yurok: 'O'rekw ) is a census-designated place situated on the banks of the Redwood Creek in Humboldt County, California. It is located 43 miles (69 km) north of Eureka, at an elevation of 26 feet (8 m). The ZIP Code is 95555. The population was 357 at the 2010 census.
The first post office at Orick opened in 1887.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Orick had a population of 357. The population density was 73.6 people per square mile (28.4/km²). The racial makeup of Orick was 288 (80.7%) White, 0 (0.0%) African American, 39 (10.9%) Native American, 0 (0.0%) Asian, 3 (0.8%) Pacific Islander, 6 (1.7%) from other races, and 21 (5.9%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 20 persons (5.6%).
The Census reported that 346 people (96.9% of the population) lived in households, 11 (3.1%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 166 households, out of which 33 (19.9%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 60 (36.1%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 10 (6.0%) had a female householder with no husband present, 13 (7.8%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 20 (12.0%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 1 (0.6%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 65 households (39.2%) were made up of individuals and 19 (11.4%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.08. There were 83 families (50.0% of all households); the average family size was 2.69.
The population was spread out with 60 people (16.8%) under the age of 18, 23 people (6.4%) aged 18 to 24, 84 people (23.5%) aged 25 to 44, 125 people (35.0%) aged 45 to 64, and 65 people (18.2%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 48.1 years. For every 100 females there were 113.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 116.8 males.
There were 197 housing units at an average density of 40.6 per square mile (15.7/km²), of which 89 (53.6%) were owner-occupied, and 77 (46.4%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 2.2%; the rental vacancy rate was 8.2%. 198 people (55.5% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 148 people (41.5%) lived in rental housing units.
In popular culture
- U.S. Census
- "Orick". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- "Yurok Dictionary: 'O'rekw". Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Orick, California
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Quill Driver Books. p. 117. ISBN 9781884995149.
- USPS ZIP Code lookup tool
- Erd, Richard C.; Czamanske, Gerald K. (1983). "Orickite and coyoteite, two new sulfide minerals from Coyote Peak, HunboldtCountry, California". American Mineralogist 68: 245–254.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "California's 2nd Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Roper, Chris, Resistance 2's Orick, CA Opener, 18 September 2008