Oriental Bay viewed from Wellington Harbour
|Local authority||Wellington City|
|Population||1,116 (2006 )|
Oriental Bay is a suburb of Wellington, the capital city of New Zealand. Located close to the CBD on Wellington Harbour, it has the closest beaches to the central city and is thus a popular spot both for living and for visiting.
Oriental Bay is situated against the northern slope of Mount Victoria, 1.5 kilometres southeast of the city centre, at the start of a coastal route which continues past Hataitai around Evans Bay. The suburb was named after one of the first ships to bring settlers to Wellington.
In the summer months, Oriental Bay becomes a hive of activity. The beach is consumed with swimmers, party goers and families. The Carter Fountain is a distinctive feature in the Bay, as is the wooden barge which is often covered in swimmers.
According to the 2006 census, Oriental Bay has a population of 1,116.
- Sam Neill - Actor (Home situated in Upper Roseneath)
- Bob Hoskins - Actor ($1.5 Million (US) Duplex on Oriental Parade)
- Kerry Pendergrast - Former Mayor of Wellington (Penthouse Apartment on Oriental Parade)
- Jane Campion - Academy Award-Winning Film Maker ($2.3 million (US) Apartment on Oriental Terrace)
- Robyn Kahukiwa - International Maori/New Zealand Artist
- Emily Watson - Actress ($1.2 million(UK) Condo on Oriental Parade)
- Adrian Hailwood - New Zealand Fashion Designer
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oriental Bay.|
|This Wellington Region-related geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|