Crash Test Dummies discography
The discography of Canadian folk rock/alternative rock band Crash Test Dummies consists of eight primary studio albums, twenty-three singles, one live album, a greatest hits compilation, and two video releases. This list does not include material recorded by band members individually or with other side projects.
Crash Test Dummies is most identifiable through Brad Roberts' distinctive bass-baritone voice, and the backing/occasional lead vocals of Ellen Reid. During its heyday, the band consisted of Roberts, Ellen Reid (co-vocals, keyboards), Brad's brother Dan Roberts (bass guitar), Benjamin Darvill (harmonica, mandolin), and Mitch Dorge (drums, percussion). Today, only Brad Roberts and Ellen Reid have appeared on every album, while Dan Roberts still occasionally tours with the band. Mitch Dorge has been busy working with Tuesday's Girl and Charlie Redstar, along with his own projects, since 2002, but is rumoured to reunite with the band in the fall of 2010 for a show in Winnipeg. Benjamin Darvill has been busy with his solo project Son of Dave since 2000 and is unlikely to play with the band again, since he now lives in London.
The band released two demo tapes. Both feature songs that would eventually appear on their debut album, as well as two songs that were never featured on future releases.
|1988||Original Recipe||—||—||Demo tape — The band's original 5-song demo.|
|1989||Demo Tape 2||—||—||Two song demo. Extremely hard to find.|
|1991||The Ghosts That Haunt Me||2 ||—||—||—||—|
|1993||God Shuffled His Feet||17 ||5||1||9||2|
|1996||A Worm's Life||20 ||61||30||78||—||
|1999||Give Yourself a Hand||14 ||—||—||—||—|
|2001||I Don't Care That You Don't Mind
|2003||Puss 'n' Boots
|2004||Songs of the Unforgiven
|2010||Oooh La La!
The band released a single Christmas album during the fall of 2002.
|2002||Jingle All the Way
|2007||The Cape Breton Lobster Bash Series
Crash Test Dummies released a greatest hits compilation in 2007, followed by a compilation of unreleased demos in 2011.
|2007||The Best of Crash Test Dummies||—||—|
In 2001 Brad Roberts released a live album, which consists of Crash Test Dummies songs, along with various covers.
|2001||Crash Test Dude (Brad Roberts solo)
|Date||Song||Peak Chart Position||Album|
|1991||March||"Superman's Song"||4||-||-||-||56||The Ghosts That Haunt Me|
|August||"The Ghosts That Haunt Me"||24||-||-||-||-|
|1992||December||"The First Noel" / "Winter Song"||-||-||-||-||-||A Lump of Coal / The Ghosts That Haunt Me|
|1993||October||"Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm"||14||1||4||2||4||God Shuffled His Feet|
|1994||January||"Swimming in Your Ocean"||6||-||-||-||-|
|June||"Afternoons & Coffeespoons"||7||40||41||23||66|
|October||"God Shuffled His Feet"||14||-||-||-||-|
|1995||January||"The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead"||4||-||-||30||-||Dumb and Dumber Soundtrack|
|1996||September||"He Liked to Feel It"||2||-||-||-||-||A Worm's Life|
|1997||January||"My Own Sunrise"||33||-||-||-||-|
|1997||June||"My Enemies" √||71||-||-||-||-|
|1999||January||"Keep a Lid on Things"||5||-||-||-||-||Give Yourself a Hand|
|June||"Get You in the Morning"||45||-||-||-||-|
|"Give Yourself a Hand" √||-||-||-||-||-|
|2001||March||"Every Morning"||-||-||-||-||-||I Don't Care That You Don't Mind|
|"On and On" √||-||-||-||-||-|
|July||"The Day We Never Met"||-||-||-||-||-|
|2002||October||"White Christmas" √||-||-||-||-||-||Jingle All the Way|
|2003||October||"I'm the Man" / "Flying Feeling" √||-||-||-||-||-||Puss 'n' Boots|
|"Flying Feeling" √||-||-||-||-||-|
|2004||October||"The Unforgiven Ones" √||-||-||-||-||-||Songs of the Unforgiven|
|"And So Will Always Be" √||-||-||-||-||-|
|2010||April||"And It's Beautiful" √||-||-||-||-||-||Oooh La La!|
|September||"Now You See Her" √||-||-||-||-||-|
|"—" indicates the single didn't chart or wasn't released in given country.
"√" indicates the single was a promotional-only release.
Songs recorded for non-album use
- "The First Noel" on A Lump of Coal and the B Side to Androgynous CD single.
- "The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead" (XTC cover) on Dumb and Dumber soundtrack (1995) and released as a single.
- "All You Pretty Girls" (XTC cover) on A Testimonial Dinner: The Songs of XTC and released as the B Side to My Own Sunrise.
- "One Of Us" Leaked acoustic demo recorded in 1994. Originally written with Brad Roberts in mind, but he ultimately did not record a full version of it.
- "Handy Candyman" on Keep A Lid On Things single (1999) and Give Yourself A Hand (Japanese CD).
- "Filter Queen" on Keep A Lid On Things single (1999)
- "Party's Over" on Get You In The Morning single (1999)
- Symptomology of a Rock Band: The Case of Crash Test Dummies (Music video compilation/Rockumentary)
- Crash Test Dude (Brad Roberts Rockumentary)
|1991||"Superman's Song"||Dale Heslip|
|1993||"Swimming in Your Ocean"|
|"Mmmm Mmmm Mmm Mmmm"|
|1996||"He Liked To Feel It"||Ken Fox|
|1997||"My Own Sunrise"||Stephen Scott|
- "Q&A With Crash Test Dummies’ Brad Roberts". Magnet (magazine). 2010-05-50. Retrieved 2010-05-11.
- "Voice from city's past revives Dummies with new CD". Winnipeg Free Press. 2010.
- "Chart Stats - Crash Test Dummies". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2011-10-09.
- "Chart Stats - Crash Test Dummies". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 2011-10-09.
- "Chart Stats - Crash Test Dummies". billboard.com. Retrieved 2011-10-09.
- "Chart Stats - Crash Test Dummies". theofficialcharts.com. Retrieved 2011-10-09.
- "RPM Chart Aug 31/91". Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "Certified Awards Search". Music Canada. Retrieved on 2011-10-09. Note: User needs to enter "Crash Test Dummies" in the "Search" field, "Artist" in the "Search by" field and click the "Go" button. Select "More info" next to the relevant entry to see full certification history.
- "RPM Chart Aug 08/94". Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Certified Awards Search". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved on 2011-10-09. Note: User needs to enter "Crash Test Dummies" in the "Search" field, "Artist" in the "Search by" field and click the "Go" button. Select "More info" next to the relevant entry to see full certification history.
- "Searchable Database". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2011-10-09. Note: User must define 'Artist' search parameter as "Crash Test Dummies".
- "RPM Chart Oct 21/96". Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "RPM Chart Apr 12/99". Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 125. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.