|Industry||Fast food restaurants|
|Founded||Los Angeles, California
United States (1946)
|Key people||Tommy Koulax, Founder (1918-1992)|
|Products||hamburgers, hot dogs, tamales, chili, french fries, soft drinks|
The original location was opened on May 15, 1946, by Tom Koulax (October 26, 1918 - May 28, 1992), the son of Greek immigrants, on the northeast corner of Beverly and Rampart boulevards west of downtown Los Angeles. The stand, which still stands today, sold hamburgers and hot dogs topped with chili. At first business was slow, but started to pick up. During the 1960s, the entire lot at this intersection was purchased. Soon after, the northwest corner was acquired for expanded parking and storage of goods. Not long after that, a second service counter occupying the building at the perimeter of the northeast lot was set up. The food was essentially the same from both locations, except for longer lines at the original shack counter, perhaps for nostalgic reasons.
Tommy's grew to 30 locations by 2006. Most Original Tommy's restaurants are found in the Greater Los Angeles Area. In recent years several locations have closed. The Santa Monica location is set to close on April 20, 2014.
A ladle or two of Koulax's signature chili tops nearly every available menu item, even the breakfast sandwich. Original Tommy's chili is a mixture of an all-beef chili con carne base, flour, water, and a "secret" blend of spices, and resembles a condiment more than a conventional bowl of chili. The flour-water mixture allows the chili to "set up" and adhere to the burger or fries. All the chili is made to exact specifications and is the same in each location.
- "Local Chains 101". Washington Post. April 25, 2004. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Gould, Lark Ellen (2005-04-01). Los Angeles: Off the Beaten Path : a Guide to Unique Places. Globe Pequot. pp. 34–. ISBN 9780762735235. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Dana Bartholomew (May 16, 2006). "Tommy Built it; They Came". Daily News. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Original Tommy's Hamburgers, OriginalTommys
- The Original Tommy's (March 14, 2014). "We have some sad news to report". facebook.com. Retrieved March 20, 2014.