Il Caravaggio International Airport
Aeroporto di Bergamo-Orio al Serio
|IATA: BGY – ICAO: LIME|
|Serves||Bergamo and Milan|
|Location||Orio al Serio|
|Hub for||DHL Aviation|
|Elevation AMSL||782 ft / 238 m|
|Passenger change 11-12||5.6%|
|Movements change 11-12||3.8%|
|Source: List of the busiest airports in Europe, Italian AIP at EUROCONTROL
Statistics from Assaeroporti
Il Caravaggio International Airport (Italian: Aeroporto di Bergamo-Orio al Serio, IATA: BGY, ICAO: LIME), also known as Bergamo Orio al Serio Airport, is an airport located in Orio al Serio, 2 NM (3.7 km; 2.3 mi) southeast of Bergamo, Italy. The airport served 8,890,720 passengers in 2012 and is the fourth busiest in Italy. It is operated by SACBO (Società Aeroporto Civile Bergamo Orio al Serio).
It is popular with low-cost airlines who sometimes call it Milan Bergamo Airport or Milan Orio al Serio Airport despite its official name due to its proximity to Milan (45 km (28 mi)) which it serves together with Linate Airport and Malpensa Airport, the city's two actual airports. The operator of those two also holds a 31% stake in SACBO.
Ground handling services are provided by the SACBO and Airport Global Services. Security services were formerly provided by SACBO with the supervision of the Polizia di Frontiera (Border Police), Guardia di Finanza (Italian Customs Police) and Ente Nazionale Aviazione Civile (Italy's Civil Aviation Authority). Due to labour disputes and costs the security services have been outsourced to a private security firm (Fidelitas).
Airlines and destinations
|DHL Aviation||Belgrade, Bologna, Bucharest, Budapest, Cologne/Bonn, Geneva, Ljubljana|
operated by EAT Leipzig
|Athens, Brussels, Budapest, Châlons Vatry, East Midlands, Leipzig/Halle, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Tel Aviv-Ben Gurion, Treviso|
operated by AeroLogic
operated by Swiftair
operated by Star Air (Maersk Air)
|Bologna, Cologne/Bonn, Pescara|
|2006||5,244,794 (+20.4%)||56,358 (+9.1%)||140,630 (+3.1%)|
|2007||5,741,734 (+9.5%)||61,364 (+8.9%)||134,449 (-4.4%)|
|2008||6,482,590 (+12.9%)||64,390 (+4.9%)||122,398 (-9.0%)|
|2009||7,160,008 (+10.4%)||65,314 (+1.4%)||100,354 (-18.0%)|
|2010||7,661,061 (+7.2%)||67,167 (+6.3%)||106,050 (+6.5%)|
|2011||8,419,948 (+9.7%)||71,514 (+5.7%)||112,556 (+5.3%)|
|2012||8,801,392 (+5.5%)||72,420 (+4.3%)||116,730 (+4.0%)|
|2013||8,882,611 (+0.9%)||69,974 (-3.4%)||115,950 (-0.7%)|
|Rank||City||Passengers 2013||Passengers 2012 (o.w.)||Airline|
|2||Cagliari, Sardinia||378,223||189,440||Ryanair, Meridiana|
|3||Lamezia Terme, Calabria||344,402||175,985||Ryanair, Trawel Fly|
|5||Palermo, Sicily||310,468||151,766||Ryanair, Trawel Fly|
|Rank||City||Passengers 2013||Passengers 2012||Airline|
|1||Istanbul-Sabiha Gökçen, Turkey||120,750||106,643||Onur Air, Pegasus Airlines|
|2||Kyiv, Ukraine||84,543||n.a.||Wizz Air|
|3||Casablanca, Morocco||79,882||63,737||Air Arabia Maroc|
|4||Tirana, Albania||63,730||n.a.||Belle Air|
|5||Marsa Alam, Egypt||57,838||64,772||Neos, Meridiana, Small Planet, Trawel Fly|
|6||Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt||54,964||90,677||Air Cairo, Neos, Meridiana, Small Planet, Trawel Fly|
Accidents and incidents
- On 8 February 1989, a Boeing 707 operated by Independent Air en route to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic crashed into the mountains of Santa Maria Island, Azores, Portugal, during an approach to the island airport for a stopover, and killed all the 144 passengers and crew on board.
- On 1 July 2002, a Boeing 757-23AF operated by DHL had taken off from Bergamo and was involved in the Überlingen mid-air collision with a BAL Bashkirian Airlines Tupolev Tu-154M whilst over Lake Constance, near Überlingen, Germany. All 71 people on board the two aircraft were killed
There are several bus and coach connections to and from Bergamo Airport. Terravision offers services to Bolzano, Milan, Santa Cristina Gherdëina, Sëlva and Urtijëi while Autostradale also offers connects the airport with Milan as well as Brescia. Orio Shuttle provides further services to Milan as well as towards Monza.
- EAD Basic
- Associazione Italiana Gestori Aeroportuali
- S.A.C.B.O. S.p.A. - Società per l'Aeroporto Civile di Bergamo - Orio al Serio
- "2013 summer schedule". Aero Logic. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "ENAC: Italy's Traffic Statistics 2011" (PDF). 2012-07-09. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
Media related to Orio al Serio International Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Accident history for BGY at Aviation Safety Network
- Current weather for LIME at NOAA/NWS