|Elevation||404 ft (123 m)|
Orleans (formerly, New Orleans Bar and Orleans Bar), (Karuk: Panamnik), is an unincorporated community in Humboldt County, California. It is located 12 miles (19 km) northeast of Weitchpec, at an elevation of 404 feet (123 m). The ZIP Code is 95556.
Originally named Panamnik, renamed by miners and settlers New Orleans Bar, it was renamed Orleans Bar in 1855, when it became the county seat of the now-defunct Klamath County, California. The community is in the ZIP code of 95556 and the area code 530. It is within the aboriginal territory of the Karuk Tribe of California.
The Orleans post office opened in 1857.
Orleans is also the site of the popular Bigfoot Patterson-Gimlin film.
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Orleans, California
- Bright, William; Susan Gehr. "Karuk Dictionary and Texts". Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Clovis, Calif.: Word Dancer Press. ISBN 1-884995-14-4.
- USPS ZIP Code lookup tool
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- "California's 2nd Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
|This Humboldt County, California–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|