Ormonde Wind Farm
|Ormonde Wind Farm|
Wind turbine at Ormonde Wind Farm, March 2011
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|Location||West of Barrow-in-Furness, Irish Sea|
|Construction began||May 2010|
|Commission date||February 2012|
|Site area||8.7 km2 (3.4 sq mi)|
|Max. water depth||17–21 m (56–69 ft)|
|Distance from shore||9.5 km (5.9 mi)|
|Hub height||100 m (328 ft)|
|Rotor diameter||126 m (413 ft)|
|Units operational||30 x 5 MW|
|Make and model||REpower 5M|
|Annual generation||500 GWh|
The Ormonde Wind Farm is a wind farm west of Barrow-in-Furness in the Irish Sea. The wind farm covers an area of 8.7 square kilometres (3.4 sq mi). It has a total capacity of 150 MW and is expected to produce around 500 GWh of electricity per year.
Originally the Ormonde project was planned as a hybrid wind and natural gas powered electricity generation plant supplied from the Ormonde South and Ormonde North gas fields. The project was developed by Eclipse Energy. In 2008, Vattenfall bought Eclipse Energy and the project was developed as wind energy only. The project management company throughout the project has been Offshore Design Engineering.
Construction started in 2010 and was completed in August 2011. Prysmian provided submarine power cable connections including 27 km of 33 kV inter-array cables to connect the wind turbines and a 42 km of 132 kV export cable to connect the wind farm to the substation. 30 turbines each with 5 MW nameplate capacity are provided by REpower and electrical works were to be carried out by Areva. Steel foundations for generators were developed and designed by OWEC Tower and produced by Burntisland Fabrications. Logistics and assembly services are provided by Harland and Wolff. Generators were installed by A2SEA. The first four steel foundations were delivered in July 2010, and were secured to the seabed, by a procedure called structural pile grouting, by FoundOcean, the subsea and offshore grouting specialist for the global energy construction industries.
The wind farm was commissioned on 22 February 2012 and is now fully operational.
- Barrow Offshore Wind Farm
- List of tallest buildings and structures in Barrow-in-Furness
- Wind power in the United Kingdom
- Snieckus, Darius (2010-07-15). "Foundations for Vattenfall's Ormonde wind farm on the way". ReCharge (NHST Media Group). Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- Wolstenholme, Matthew (2010-05-04). "Vattenfall starts construction work on Ormonde wind farm". ReCharge (NHST Media Group). (subscription required). Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Work on Ormonde Wind Farm off Barrow completed". BBC News. 2011-08-03. Retrieved 2011-08-16.
- Johnson, Rachel (2009-02-26). "Work contracts awarded for Ormonde offshore wind hybrid". NewEnergyFocus.com. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Burntisland bags wind job". Upstream Online (NHST Media Group). 2009-02-20. (subscription required). Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- Stromsta, Karl-Erik (2010-06-01). "A2SEA bags contract for work on Vattenfall's Ormonde project". ReCharge (NHST Media Group). (subscription required). Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- businessGreen news website
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ormonde offshore wind farm.|
- Ormonde Wind Farm (Vattenfall's website)
- LORC Knowledge - Datasheet for Ormonde Wind Farm
- Ormonde Wind Farm - Jacket Installation
- BBC - Three steps to build a wind farm
- Foundocean Project references