UFC Fight Night 6.5
||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (February 2013)|
|Ortiz vs. Shamrock 3: The Final Chapter|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||October 10, 2006|
|Venue||Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino|
- Not to be confused with UFC Fight Night 7, which took place on December 13, 2006.
Ortiz vs. Shamrock 3: The Final Chapter, also known as UFC Fight Night 6.5 is a mixed martial arts event that was held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on October 10, 2006. The event took place at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Florida and was broadcast live on Spike TV in the United States and Canada. The two-hour broadcast drew a 3.1 overall rating, with the main event of Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock 3 drawing a 4.3 rating. Quoting MMA Weekly's Ivan Trembow, "That breaks down to an amazing 5.7 million viewers for the Ortiz vs. Shamrock fight. This shatters the UFC's previous record for the number of people watching a UFC fight at any given time." The overall ratings record would not be matched until UFC 75 on September 8, 2007.
The main event featured the third and final encounter between Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock. At UFC 61, the two fighters met for a second time, with Ortiz reigning victorious via technical knockout; however, critics contend that the fight was stopped too early by referee Herb Dean. At the UFC 62 weigh-ins, UFC President Dana White announced the third Ortiz-Shamrock encounter. Tickets went on sale on Tuesday, August 29 of 2006, and sold out very quickly in two days.
- Davis wins by submission (guillotine choke) at 4:58 of round one. This bout was not aired on the broadcast.
- Alves wins by unanimous decision. All three judges score the bout 30–27. This bout was not aired on the broadcast.
- Singer wins by unanimous decision. All three judges score the bout 29–28. This bout was not aired on the broadcast.
- DeSouza wins by submission (kimura) at 3:59 of round one. This bout was not aired on the broadcast.
- Marquardt wins by submission (rear naked choke) at 1:14 of round two. Wallace was a late replacement for Thales Leites, who experienced difficulties processing his visa in time for the bout. This bout was not aired on the broadcast.
- Hamill wins by unanimous decision. Judges score the bout 29–28, 30–27, and 29–28.
- MacDonald wins by submission (triangle choke) at 2:40 of round one.
- Middleweight bout: Kendall Grove vs. Chris Price
- Grove wins by submission due to strikes at 3:59 of round one.
- Ortiz wins by TKO (strikes) at 2:24 of round one. Shamrock announces his retirement after the fight, although the retirement only lasted roughly a year and a half.
Fighters were each awarded $30,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Matt Hamill vs. Seth Petruzelli
- Knockout of the Night: Tito Ortiz
- Submission of the Night: Jason MacDonald
- "MMA's alleged brutality, and more • Dave Doyle's FOXSports.com MMA Blog – FOX Sports Blogs". Community.foxsports.com. 2006-10-11. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- "Ivan's Blog- Ivan Trembow's Self-Important, Random Rants on Mixed Martial Arts, Video Games, Pro Wrestling, Television, Politics, Sports, and High-Quality Wool Socks". Ivansblog.com. 2006-10-12. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- Sherdog.com. "UFC 75 Sets MMA Ratings Record in North America". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- "UFC 62 WEIGH-INS; ORTIZ VS. SHAMROCK 3 ANNOUNCED – MMA WEEKLY – Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more". Mma Weekly. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- "MARQUARDT'S NEW OPPONENT; OTHER UFC CHANGES – MMA WEEKLY – Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more". Mma Weekly. 2006-10-04. Retrieved 2009-04-12.