Orwell Township, Ashtabula County, Ohio
|Orwell Township, Ashtabula County, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Ashtabula County
|• Total||23.7 sq mi (61.5 km2)|
|• Land||23.7 sq mi (61.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||932 ft (284 m)|
|• Density||131/sq mi (50.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085736|
Orwell Township is one of the twenty-seven townships of Ashtabula County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 3,106 people in the township, 1,446 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located on the southwestern edge of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Rome Township - north
- New Lyme Township - northeast corner
- Colebrook Township - east
- Greene Township, Trumbull County - southeast corner
- Bloomfield Township, Trumbull County - south
- Mesopotamia Township, Trumbull County - southwest corner
- Windsor Township - west
- Hartsgrove Township - northwest corner
The village of Orwell is located in central Orwell Township.
Name and history
It is the only Orwell Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Orwell township, Ashtabula County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Donley, Lucille." Orwell" (1958-12-15). Ashtabula County Historical Society.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.