|Population||198 (Dec 2012)|
|- Density||47 /km2 (122 /sq mi)|
|Area||4.2 km2 (1.6 sq mi)|
|Elevation||622 m (2,041 ft)|
|Surrounded by||Bioley-Magnoux, Cronay, Essertines-sur-Yverdon, Gossens, Oppens, Pailly, Ursins|
Profile (French), SFSO statistics
Orzens is first mentioned in 1177 as Orsens.
Orzens has an area, as of 2009[update], of 4.2 square kilometers (1.6 sq mi). Of this area, 3.34 km2 (1.29 sq mi) or 79.5% is used for agricultural purposes, while 0.66 km2 (0.25 sq mi) or 15.7% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.2 km2 (0.077 sq mi) or 4.8% is settled (buildings or roads).
Of the built up area, housing and buildings made up 3.1% and transportation infrastructure made up 1.7%. Out of the forested land, all of the forested land area is covered with heavy forests. Of the agricultural land, 63.6% is used for growing crops and 15.0% is pastures.
The municipality is located in the wooded hills above the left bank of the Mentue. It consists of the village of Orzens and the hamlet of Champs Plats.
Coat of arms
Orzens has a population (as of December 2012[update]) of 198. As of 2008[update], 5.4% of the population are resident foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years (1999–2009 ) the population has changed at a rate of -2.4%. It has changed at a rate of -3.4% due to migration and at a rate of 2% due to births and deaths.
The age distribution, as of 2009[update], in Orzens is; 13 children or 6.5% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old and 23 teenagers or 11.5% are between 10 and 19. Of the adult population, 29 people or 14.5% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 28 people or 14.0% are between 30 and 39, 34 people or 17.0% are between 40 and 49, and 25 people or 12.5% are between 50 and 59. The senior population distribution is 16 people or 8.0% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 17 people or 8.5% are between 70 and 79, there are 15 people or 7.5% who are between 80 and 89.
As of 2000[update], there were 82 private households in the municipality, and an average of 2.4 persons per household. There were 26 households that consist of only one person and 9 households with five or more people. Out of a total of 83 households that answered this question, 31.3% were households made up of just one person and there was 1 adult who lived with their parents. Of the rest of the households, there are 23 married couples without children, 26 married couples with children There were 2 single parents with a child or children. There were 4 households that were made up of unrelated people and 1 household that was made up of some sort of institution or another collective housing.
In 2000[update] there were 34 single family homes (or 54.8% of the total) out of a total of 62 inhabited buildings. There were 9 multi-family buildings (14.5%), along with 17 multi-purpose buildings that were mostly used for housing (27.4%) and 2 other use buildings (commercial or industrial) that also had some housing (3.2%).
In 2000[update], a total of 76 apartments (88.4% of the total) were permanently occupied, while 5 apartments (5.8%) were seasonally occupied and 5 apartments (5.8%) were empty. As of 2009[update], the construction rate of new housing units was 0 new units per 1000 residents. The vacancy rate for the municipality, in 2010[update], was 1.14%.
In the 2007 federal election the most popular party was the SVP which received 47.97% of the vote. The next three most popular parties were the Green Party (16.31%), the SP (11.77%) and the FDP (7.78%). In the federal election, a total of 87 votes were cast, and the voter turnout was 57.2%.
As of 2010[update], Orzens had an unemployment rate of 2.6%. As of 2008[update], there were 20 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 9 businesses involved in this sector. 14 people were employed in the secondary sector and there were 3 businesses in this sector. 4 people were employed in the tertiary sector, with 3 businesses in this sector. There were 81 residents of the municipality who were employed in some capacity, of which females made up 39.5% of the workforce.
In 2008[update] the total number of full-time equivalent jobs was 28. The number of jobs in the primary sector was 12, all of which were in agriculture. The number of jobs in the secondary sector was 13 of which 1 was in manufacturing and 12 (92.3%) were in construction. The number of jobs in the tertiary sector was 3. In the tertiary sector; 1 was in the sale or repair of motor vehicles, 1 was in education.
In 2000[update], there were 15 workers who commuted into the municipality and 56 workers who commuted away. The municipality is a net exporter of workers, with about 3.7 workers leaving the municipality for every one entering. Of the working population, 0% used public transportation to get to work, and 72.8% used a private car.
From the 2000 census[update], 17 or 8.6% were Roman Catholic, while 138 or 70.1% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there were 35 individuals (or about 17.77% of the population) who belonged to another Christian church. 23 (or about 11.68% of the population) belonged to no church, are agnostic or atheist, and 1 individuals (or about 0.51% of the population) did not answer the question.
Orzens has an average of 123.8 days of rain or snow per year and on average receives 999 mm (39.3 in) of precipitation. The wettest month is June during which time Orzens receives an average of 99 mm (3.9 in) of rain or snow. During this month there is precipitation for an average of 11.4 days. The month with the most days of precipitation is May, with an average of 12.3, but with only 94 mm (3.7 in) of rain or snow. The driest month of the year is February with an average of 70 mm (2.8 in) of precipitation over 10.3 days.
In Orzens about 66 or (33.5%) of the population have completed non-mandatory upper secondary education, and 19 or (9.6%) have completed additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). Of the 19 who completed tertiary schooling, 78.9% were Swiss men, 15.8% were Swiss women.
In the 2009/2010 school year there were a total of 17 students in the Orzens school district. In the Vaud cantonal school system, two years of non-obligatory pre-school are provided by the political districts. During the school year, the political district provided pre-school care for a total of 578 children of which 359 children (62.1%) received subsidized pre-school care. The canton's primary school program requires students to attend for four years. There were 9 students in the municipal primary school program. The obligatory lower secondary school program lasts for six years and there were 8 students in those schools.
- Swiss Federal Statistics Office – STAT-TAB Ständige und Nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Region, Geschlecht, Nationalität und Alter (German) accessed 17 September 2013
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Orzens in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office-Land Use Statistics 2009 data (German) accessed 25 March 2010
- Nomenklaturen – Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz (German) accessed 4 April 2011
- Flags of the World.com accessed 23-August-2011
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - Superweb database - Gemeinde Statistics 1981-2008 (German) accessed 19 June 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 23-August-2011
- STAT-TAB Datenwürfel für Thema 40.3 - 2000 (German) accessed 2 February 2011
- Canton of Vaud Statistical Office (French) accessed 29 April 2011
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office STAT-TAB - Datenwürfel für Thema 09.2 - Gebäude und Wohnungen (German) accessed 28 January 2011
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office STAT-TAB Bevölkerungsentwicklung nach Region, 1850-2000 (German) accessed 29 January 2011
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office, Nationalratswahlen 2007: Stärke der Parteien und Wahlbeteiligung, nach Gemeinden/Bezirk/Canton (German) accessed 28 May 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office STAT-TAB Betriebszählung: Arbeitsstätten nach Gemeinde und NOGA 2008 (Abschnitte), Sektoren 1-3 (German) accessed 28 January 2011
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - Statweb (German) accessed 24 June 2010
- "Temperature and Precipitation Average Values-Table, 1961-1990" (in German, French, Italian). Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology - MeteoSwiss. Retrieved 8 May 2009., the Orzens weather station elevation is 623 meters above sea level.
- Organigramme de l'école vaudoise, année scolaire 2009-2010 (French) accessed 2 May 2011
- Canton of Vaud Statistical Office - Scol. obligatoire/filières de transition (French) accessed 2 May 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Orzens.|