Nuñez in Los Angeles, California in February 2009
November 18, 1958 |
He was a member of The Groundlings and later portrayed Dunder Mifflin's paper supply accountant, Oscar Martinez, on NBC's The Office. He was the producer and co-star of the series Halfway Home on Comedy Central.
Life and career
Nunez's mother was a dentist and his father a lawyer who were classmates of Castro at the University of Havana. Nunez was born in Cuba, but his parents first moved to Venezuela before moving to the United States. His family moved to Boston when he was two years old and then to Union City, New Jersey when he was four years. He is bilingual in English and Spanish. Having attended various colleges in New York, including Fashion Institute of Technology and the Parsons School of Design for writing, Nunez became a certified dental technician from Magna Institute of Dental Technology.
Nunez started his comedy career in New York, performing over 300 shows with The Shock of the Funny theater company. The troupe was active in the East Village for several years. In addition to his work with Shock, Nunez appeared in theater in New York and Washington, D.C. before moving to Los Angeles in the mid 1990s. In LA, he joined The Groundlings and performed in their Sunday Company. While with the Groundlings, he wrote and starred in a production called "Smooth Down There."
In 1997, Nunez graduated from the Warner Brothers Comedy Writer’s Workshop. In 1999, he was a finalist in the ABC Latino Writers Project.
Nunez's television credits include Malcolm in the Middle, 24, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Reno 911, The District and Mad TV, in addition to his role on The Office. He was also the creator and executive producer of the Comedy Central series Halfway Home, in which he played the character Eulogio Pla.
His film credits include The Italian Job (as a security guard), Reno 911: Miami, and When Do We Eat?. In 2009, Nunez played the role of Ramon, the caterer, stripper, soda jerk, and finally clergy performing the wedding ceremony in The Proposal. In 2012, Nunez played the role of Jose Baez, an attorney in the Lifetime movie Prosecuting Casey Anthony.
Nunez appeared as one of eight judges in the 2010 Miss USA Contest, posing a question about the Arizona illegal immigrant law to Miss Oklahoma USA, Morgan Elizabeth Woolard. Nunez was booed by the audience before finishing the question; however he asked the audience to wait until he finished the question before they reacted. Although Woolard replied that she supports the law as a state rights issue, she added that she is against racial profiling.
- Celebrity Family Feud
- The Proposal as Ramone
- Fred: The Movie (minor role)
- Fringe (Season 4, Episode 6; "And Those We've Left Behind")
- Curb Your Enthusiasm (Season 1, Episode 5; Car Park Attendant)
- The Italian Job (minor role)
- Reno 911 "Spanish Mike" Alvarez
- The Office as Oscar Martinez (189 Episodes)
- Bob's Burgers (Episode "Sheesh! Cab, Bob?")
- Prosecuting Casey Anthony as Jose Baez
- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (Season 9, Episode 3; "The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award")
- [dead link]
- "'Office' worker Nunez has a second 'Home'", New York Daily News, May 9, 2007. Accessed July 23, 2008.
- Girl on Guy Podcast 91, 20130418, http://girlonguy.net/
- "The Office Cast Biographies", May 17, 2010. Accessed May 16, 2010.
- "Michigan woman crowned 2010 Miss USA in Las Vegas", Forbes.com, May 16, 2010. Accessed May 16, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oscar Nuñez.|