Skarsaune's major work on Justin Martyr, The Proof from Prophecy. A Study in Justin Martyr's Proof-Text Tradition: Text-Type, Provenance, Theological Profile is frequently cited. His study calls for a revision in views of accounts of Justin's conversion.
Skarsaune is also editor of and contributor to The History of Jewish Believers in Jesus from Antiquity to the Present, which includes his study of the Ebionites - whom Skarsaune argued made a central claim of the parentage of Joseph, and against the virgin birth of Jesus. Skarsaune has close ties to the Messianic Jewish community in Israel and invited their contribution to the project.
- Årbok - Det Norske videnskaps-akademi Norske videnskaps-akademi i Oslo - 2007
- Kongelige Norske Videnskabers Selskab, Forhandlinger Kongelige Norske videnskabers selskab - 1996 "Oskar Skarsaune er født i Trondheim i 1946. Han ble cand. theol, i 1972 og disputerte for den teologiske doktorgrad ved Universitetet i Oslo... "
- Hebrew Bible, Old Testament Magne Sæbø - 2008 "Oskar Skarsaune (b. 1946), Professor of Church History, Norwegian School of Theology, Oslo. Selected publications: "
- Emily J. Hunt Christianity in the Second Century p54 "In his book The Proof from Prophecy,7 Oskar Skarsaune suggests that Justin used Paul's collection of Old Testament quotations as a testimony source. Skarsaune has discovered several correlations between Paul's citations of Hebrew ...
- Paul and the Second Century 2011 p111 Michael F. Bird, Joseph R. Dodson "Oskar Skarsaune has Justin as the key focus of his analysis that probes the use of Justin's citational techniques."
- Religious identity and the invention of tradition p67 J. W. van Henten, Anton W. J. Houtepen - 2001 "Perhaps inspired by this, Oskar Skarsaune has criticized the standard interpretation of Justin's conversion on two different but interrelated points. 15 On the one hand, Skarsaune demonstrated convincingly how Justin's dialogue should ..."
- The New Testament and early Christian literature in Greco-Roman ... 2006 p419 David Edward Aune, John Fotopoulos "As Oskar Skarsaune has demonstrated, Isa 2:3f “is the testimony on the apostolic mission in Justin.”57 In my opinion this statement can be expanded to include a majority of patristic writers from the second through the fifth centuries."
- Thomas E. Phillips Contemporary studies in Acts 2009 p57 "Oskar Skarsaune has paid great attention to the proof-text tradition that he finds behind Justin's writings, and has shown that it contains significant parallels with the thought of Luke as that thought is expressed in each of Luke's ..."
- Carl Sommer We look for a kingdom: the everyday lives of the early Christians 2007 p114 -"... as Oskar Skarsaune has shown, the scholars who see a contradiction between Justin's two conversion accounts have fundamentally misunderstood Justin's quest .22 Justin did not examine philosophies simply for the intellectual ..."
- James Carleton Paget, Jews, Christians and Jewish Christians in Antiquity 2010 p353 "Oskar Skarsaune has argued that a central claim of the Ebionites on the basis of what we read in Irenaeus and related sources, lies in the view that Jesus was the son of Joseph,116 and that this had the consequence that they gave great ..."
- Pro ecclesia vol.14 American Lutheran Publicity Bureau, Center for Catholic and Evangelical Theology - 2005 "... a number of distinguished New Testament scholars have contributed to the forthcoming multivolume work The History of Jewish Believers in Jesus from Antiquity to the Present, edited by Oskar Skarsaune.46 Skarsaune has close ties to the Messianic community in Israel and has invited Messianic Jewish contribution to the project .47 The work is notable in part because it offers a reassessment of the commonly ..."