||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (July 2010)|
|Elevation||653 m (2,142 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
The city of Osmanabad has an elevation of 653 metres (2,142 ft). Osmanabad city is located in the west central part of Osmanabad Tahsil, but relatively central for the district as a whole. Tuljapur, Bhoom, Washi, and Kalamb are nearby towns. Solapur, located southwest of Osmanabad in Solapur district, is the nearest sizable city.
In the 2011 Indian census, the city of Osmanabad had 106,644 inhabitants, with 41,982 males (52.1%) and 38,643 females (47.9%), for a gender ratio of 920 females per thousand males. In 2001, Osmanabad had an average literacy rate of 74%, higher than the national average of 59.5%, male literacy was 80%, and female literacy was 67%. In 2001 in Osmanabad, 14% of the population was under 6 years of age.
Osmanabad city has one Government BAMS College, one Government Polytechnic College, one Private Pharmacy College and a Private Engineering College also. Another engineering college in Osmanabad District is in Tuljapur. Osmanabad has Government Agriculture college (under Marathwada Agriculture University, Parbhani) near Ter.
Osmanabad also has a Sub-Center of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad, which includes Department of Management Science, Department of Education, Department of Chemistry, etx.
Monuments and attractions
Osmanabad City has the famous dargah (Sufi shrine built over the grave of a revered religious figure) of Hazrat Khwaja Shamsoddin Gazi (RA). The interior decoration of the dargah, consisting of many colourful glass pieces, is the main attraction of the dargah nowadays.
Osmanabad Airport (IATA: OMN) lies approximately 3 km from the city centre. There are no scheduled commercial air services to this airport. It takes about 6-7 mins to reach airport by car from the bus stand. Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation has leased the airport to Reliance Airport Developers Ltd for 95 years. Reliance paid Rs. 63 crore for the deal, which includes other four airports of Maharashtra. The nearest operational airport is Pune International Airport.
Osmanabad railway station (station code UMD) is an important railway station situated on Latur - Miraj railway route of central railway. Before 2004, a narrow gauge track connecting Latur to Kurduvadi passed through Osmanabad district. The station nearest to the city at Yedshi was 18 km away from Osmanabad City. During conversion from narrow gauge to Broad Gauge, the track alignment was changed and directed towards Osmanabad city. In the first stage, the broad gauge track between Latur-Osmanabad was completed and became functional in 2007. The first train to arrive at Osmanabad railway station was the Mumbai-Osmanabad Express that ran via Aurangabad and Manmad. The Osmanabad-Kurudvadi section was completed and made functional in 2008. Latur-Osmanabad-Mumbai Express was started via Kurduvadi, Pune in 2008.
Osmanabad has connections to Pune, Mumbai, Kolhapur, Miraj-Sangli, Pandharpur, Nagpur, Parbhani, Latur, Nanded, Parali Vaijnath, Hyderabad, and Nizamabad. Following are important trains running from Osmanabad:
- 51433 Nizamabad-Pandharpur Passenger 01:37 01:42 Daily
- 51426 Miraj-Parali Vaijnath Passenger 01:40 01:43 Daily
- 12527 Mumbai CST-Latur Express 04:35 04:37 Daily
- 11403 Nagpur-Kolhapur Express 06:57 07:00 Wednesday,Sunday
- 17014 Hyderabad-Pune Express 07:50 07:55 Monday,Wednesday,Saturday
- 51434 Pandharpur-Nizamabad Passenger 10:05 10:10 Daily
- 51425 Parali Vaijnath-Miraj Passenger 11:30 11:35 Daily
- 17013 Pune-Hyderabad Express 19:00 19:05 Monday.Wednesday,Saturday
- 01404 Kolhapur-Nagpur Express 19:29 19:34 Monday.Friday
- 12528 Latur-Mumbai CST Express 23:35 23:40 Daily
- "Brief Industrial Profile of Osmanabad District". Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- "Census 2001 Population Finder: Maharashtra: Osmanabad: Urban Agglomerate (UA)". Office of The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. Archived from the original on 3 May 2013.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Reliance Airport gets five projects on lease". Times of India. 06 Aug 2009. Retrieved 19 September 2011.
- "MIDC-run airports set for makeover". Indian Express. 1 July 2008. Retrieved 19 September 2011.
news from osmanabad:(http://www.osmanabadlive.com/)