|Chancellor||E. S. L. Narasimhan|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. S. Satyanarayana|
|Location||Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Campus||Urban, 1600 acres (6 km²)|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AIU|
The Osmania University (OU) is a public state university located in Hyderabad, India, and founded in 1908. It was established and named after the last Nizam of Hyderabad, Mir Osman Ali Khan. It is the first Indian university to have Urdu as a medium of instruction.
In 2012, the university was placed sixth among the Nation's Premier Universities in Humanities, Sciences and Commerce stream, which bagged the University with Potential for Excellence status. The Main Campus is ranked tenth among the State Universities, as published by India Today. As of 2012, the university hosts 3,700 international students from more than 80 nations.
The OU is one of the largest university systems in the subcontinent with over 300,000 students on its campuses and affiliated colleges. It is particularly known for its faculty of Engineering and Technology, Law, Arts, Sciences, Commerce and Management departments. Osmania Medical College was once a part of the same system. However, it is now under the supervision of NTR University of Health Sciences.
Osmania University was founded in 1908 by the Seventh Nizam of Hyderabad state, Nawab Mir Osman Ali Khan for higher learning in India. It is the third oldest in southern India and the first to be established in the erstwhile princely State of Hyderabad. For almost nine decades, it has sustained an integrated development of all faculties. It has contributed to the academic, social, and economic development of the region and the nation.
Its alumni have distinguished themselves nationally and internationally. The state government has appointed Prof S Satyanarayana as vice chancellor of Osmania University.Osmania University is accredited by the NAAC with an 'A' Grade and conferred with the status of 'University with Potential for Excellence' by the UGC, New Delhi.
Admissions and research 
Osmania is a non-profit university which is funded and managed by the government. Admissions into the Bachelor of Engineering, Masters and Doctoral programs in Main Campus is on a merit basis, evaluated by national entrance examinations (EAMCET, GATE, BCFSBTGMES-N&D, APLAWCET, O.U. PHD Entrance Exam etc.) for each of the courses offered. The research activities are funded by agencies like University Grants Commission, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Department of Biotechnology, Defence Research and Development Organisation, etc., which are autonomous agencies of government of India.
Main Campus 
Osmania offers courses in Humanities, Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Law, Engineering, Medicine, Technology, Commerce and Business Management, Information Technology and Oriental Languages. In 2001, Osmania University was awarded five-star status by the National Accreditation and Assessment Council (NAAC) of the University Grants Commission, part of the Government of India.
Osmania has a campus of nearly 1600 acres (6 km²). Osmania University is perhaps the largest higher education system in the country It attracts students from across the nation as well as from other countries. It is home to nearly 300,000 students pursuing their higher studies in its campus, constituent affiliated colleges and district centres. Its faculty and staff number nearly 5,000.
Constituent Centers of Main Campus 
- Osmania University's College of Technology
- Sir Ronald Ross Institute of Parasitology
- Indian Council of Social Science Research
- Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers, Hyderabad
- PGRR center for distance education
- Center For Energy Technology
- Educational Multimedia Research Center
- Center For English Language Training
- Center For Plant Molecular Biology
- Center For Indian Ocean Studies
- Japal-Rangapur Observatory
- Research and Training Unit in Navigational Electronics
- Regional Center For Urban and Environmental Studies
- University College for Women, Koti
- Nizam College
- City College Hyderabad
- National Institute of Nutrition
- Center For Stem Cell Science, Hyderabad
Notable alumni 
- Roger L. Geiger (2009). Curriculum, accreditation, and coming of age of higher education. Transaction Publishers. pp. 154–155. ISBN 978-1-4128-1031-9. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- http://www.osmania.ac.in/InfoAct/Item01.pdf. Retrieved 2012-08-21. Missing or empty
- http://www.osmania.ac.in/Pressnote-OU6thRanking.pdf. Retrieved 2012-08-21. Missing or empty
- "India's top 50 universities - | Photos | India Today |". Indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- . ibnlive.in.com http://ibnlive.in.com/news/osmania-tells-foreign-students-to-keep-off-drugs/286849-62-131.html. Retrieved 2012-09-01. Missing or empty
- "Cities / Hyderabad : Osmania University: A green haven in Hyderabad". The Hindu. 2012-07-28. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- "Votes for seven wonders of Hyderabad". timesofindia. ?. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "A slice of Egypt in Hyderabad". hindu.com. 14 February 2011. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- History oucde.ac.in
- "INSA". Insaindia.org. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- by Reference. "Graduates of Osmania University/Alumni of Osmania University; Graduates of Note (15 Items)". Ranker.com. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- http://220.127.116.11/cstonline/MA-MSC-MCOM%20I%20&III%20Backlog%20and%20Improvement%20june%202012.pdf. Retrieved 2012-08-21. Missing or empty
- Team indiaresultszone.com (2007-11-25). "Ranking of University | India". Indiaresultszone.com. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- http://ghrdc.org/pdfs/overall_results11.pdf. Retrieved 2012-08-21. Missing or empty
- Special Correspondent (2012-07-23). "Cities / Hyderabad : Osmania University computer science students placed high". The Hindu. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- Aarti Dhar (2012-07-15). "News / National : Still a small global campus". The Hindu. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- "Outlook Rankings: NALSAR, Hyderabad ranked the best law school in the country; followed by NLSIU, Bangalore and NLIU, Bhopal". Barandbench.com. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Osmania University|
- Official website
- Osmania University results on google
- Osmania University Alumni Association North America Inc. An official OU alumni organization in North America and International
- Centre for Distance Education, Osmania University
- Osmania University Department of Business Management
- Osmania University Alumni Association(OUAA) North America
- History of Osmania University, Hyderabad and Alumni
- Osmania University summarized details