Otaru University of Commerce
|Otaru University of Commerce|
The logo of the university
|Students||2,425 (as of 2013)|
|Location||Otaru, Hokkaidō, Japan|
|Former names||Otaru School of Higher Learning|
Otaru University of Commerce (小樽商科大学 Otaru Shōka Daigaku?) is a national university in Japan. The main campus of the university is in Otaru, Hokkaidō, Japan, with a satellite campus in Chūō-ku, Sapporo.
== History == The origin of the university dates to 1910, when the Otaru School of Higher Learning was established in Otaru as the fifth national school of commerce in Japan. In 1944, during World War II, the school was renamed to Otaru College of Economics. In 1949, the Otaru University of Commerce was officially established, with a Faculty of Commerce. The university became a junior college and a Graduate School of Commerce.
In 1991, the system of the university was reorganized, establishing four departments in the Faculty of Commerce: the Department of Economics, Department of Commerce, Department of Law, and Department of Information and Management Science.
The Otaru University of Commerce's Junior College was abolished in 1996. After the establishment of a satellite campus in Chuo-ku, Sapporo, the university opened a major in Business Administration in the graduate school in 1997. In 2005, the satellite campus was moved its current location in Kita-ku, Sapporo.
The university is often called "Taru-shō" or "Shō-dai." The graduate university has a MBA program, the "Major in Entrepreneurship" course. The university affiliates with 20 universities in 13 countries and accepts international students from 17 countries. As of April 2013, the largest number of international students is 54 from China.
The symbol of the university was designated on October 1, 1998. The logo imprints the year of the establishment, the name of the university (OUC), and the symbol of two wings of Hermes, who is the Olympian god of commerce.
Faculty of Commerce
- Department of Economics
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Law
- Department of Information and Management Science
- Teachers' Training Program in Commerce
Graduate School of Commerce
- Major in Modern Commerce (Master and Doctor Program)
- Major in Entrepreneurship (Professional Degree (MBA) Program)
- Otaru University of Commerce Main Page (Japanese) (English) (Chinese) (Korean)
- Otaru University of Commerce International Center Main Page (Japanese)
- Otaru University of Commerce Library Japanese Website (Japanese)
- Otaru University of Commerce (English)
- YOUC (One-year Study Program on Economics, Management and Japanese language in English/Japanese) Program (English)
|This article on a Hokkaidō institute of higher education or related topic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|