Otero County, New Mexico
|Otero County, New Mexico|
Otero County courthouse in Alamogordo, New Mexico
Location in the state of New Mexico
New Mexico's location in the U.S.
|Founded||30 January 1899|
|• Total||6,627 sq mi (17,164 km2)|
|• Land||6,613 sq mi (17,128 km2)|
|• Water||14 sq mi (36 km2), 0.2%|
|• Density||10/sq mi (3.7/km²)|
Otero County is a county located in the U.S. state of New Mexico. As of the 2010 census, the population was 63,797, making it the tenth most populated county and twenty-second least populated county in New Mexico.. Its county seat is Alamogordo. The Census Bureau defines the Alamogordo Micropolitan Statistical Area as Otero County. It is north of the Texas state line.
- Doña Ana County, New Mexico – west
- Sierra County, New Mexico – northwest
- Lincoln County, New Mexico – north
- Chaves County, New Mexico – east
- Eddy County, New Mexico – east
- Culberson County, Texas – southeast
- Hudspeth County, Texas – south
- El Paso County, Texas – southwest
National protected areas
Whereas according to the 2010 U.S. Census Bureau:
- 72.7% White
- 3.5% Black
- 6.7% Native American
- 1.2% Asian
- 0.2% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
- 4.2% Two or more races
- 11.2% Other races
- 34.5% Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
As of the census of 2000, there were 62,298 people, 22,984 households, and 16,801 families residing in the county. The population density was 9 people per square mile (4/km²). There were 29,272 housing units at an average density of 4 per square mile (2/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 73.71% White, 3.92% Black or African American, 5.80% Native American, 1.17% Asian, 0.13% Pacific Islander, 11.67% from other races, and 3.60% from two or more races. 32.16% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 22,984 households out of which 37.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.50% were married couples living together, 11.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.90% were non-families. 23.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.10% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.66 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the county the population was spread out with 29.50% under the age of 18, 9.30% from 18 to 24, 28.60% from 25 to 44, 21.00% from 45 to 64, and 11.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 99.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,861, and the median income for a family was $34,781. Males had a median income of $27,657 versus $18,470 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,345. About 15.60% of families and 19.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 27.90% of those under age 18 and 12.80% of those age 65 or over.
Other places in Otero County
- Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation
- Newman, New Mexico
- White Sands National Monument
- National Solar Observatory
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Alamogordo, NM Micropolitan Statistical Area" (PDF). US Census Bureau. December 2006. Retrieved 9 September 2009.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Sites Southwest LLC & Bohannan Huston Inc. (October 2005). Otero County Comprehensive Plan (Report). County of Otero. http://www.co.otero.nm.us/Oterococomplan-final-10-05%20small%20-%20Searchable.pdf. Retrieved 2009-08-31.
||Sierra County||Lincoln County|
|Doña Ana County||Chaves County and Eddy County|
|El Paso County, Texas||Hudspeth County, Texas||Culberson County, Texas|