Other Voices (The Doors album)
|Studio album by The Doors|
|Released||October 18, 1971|
|The Doors chronology|
|Singles from Other Voices|
The recording of the album began while lead singer Jim Morrison was on holiday in France. The song "Down on the Farm" was allegedly already written at the time of the recording of the previous album, but Morrison did not want to include it. According to keyboardist Ray Manzarek, some of the songs had been rehearsed with Morrison before he left for Paris.
The three remaining members of the band regrouped and released the album in October three months after Morrison's death. Manzarek and guitarist Robby Krieger took Morrison's place as lead singers.
The Doors have largely disregarded the last two studio albums that were recorded without Jim Morrison, and had no plans of reissuing the albums on CD. At the time, The Doors stated that they were not in possession of the master tapes, but remastered material from both the albums has appeared on various compilations, most notably the 1997 Box Set and the 2000 compilation The Best of the Doors.
On September 27, 2011, The Doors finally gave Other Voices (along with Full Circle) its first official reissue, though made available only via digital download at sites such as iTunes, Amazon.com and eMusic. The original master tapes were confirmed to have been used in these reissues.
While Other Voices' inside gatefold cover states "All songs written by Krieger, Densmore, Manzarek," a lyric sheet was included with early LP editions of the album that listed individual writing credits, and some early versions of the LP include these credits on the LP record labels as well. These individual credits are listed below.
|1.||"In the Eye of the Sun" (Ray Manzarek)||4:48|
|2.||"Variety Is the Spice of Life" (Robby Krieger)||2:50|
|3.||"Ships with Sails" (Krieger/John Densmore)||7:38|
|4.||"Tightrope Ride" (Manzarek/Krieger)||4:15|
|5.||"Down on the Farm" (Krieger)||4:15|
|6.||"I'm Horny, I'm Stoned" (Krieger)||3:55|
|7.||"Wandering Musician" (Krieger)||6:25|
|8.||"Hang On to Your Life" (Manzarek/Krieger)||5:36|
- Jack Conrad – bass on "In the Eye of the Sun", "Variety Is the Spice of Life" and "Tightrope Ride"
- Jerry Scheff – bass on "Down On The Farm", "I'm Horny, I'm Stoned" and "Wandering Musician"
- Wolfgang Melz – bass on "Hang on to Your Life"
- Ray Neapolitan – bass on "Ships w/Sails"
- Willie Ruff – acoustic bass on "Ships w/Sails"
- Francisco Aguabella – percussion on "Ships w/Sails" and "Hang on to Your Life"
- Emil Richards – marimba, kickshaws and whimwhams on "Down on the Farm"
Billboard (North America)
B-side: "Variety is the Spice of Life"
|The Billboard Hot 100||71|
|1971||"Ships with Sails"
B-side: "In the Eye of the Sun"
- Producers – The Doors, Bruce Botnick
- Engineer – Bruce Botnick
- Cover photo – Ron Raffaelli
- Lindsay Planer. "Other Voices". Allmusic. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "Other Voices Album Review, Songs, Ratings". Starpulse.com. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "Album: The Doors: Other Voices". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- http://www.thefreedomman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3896&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= OV/FC Master Tape Discussion
- Whitburn, Joel. The Billboard Hot 100 Annual 1955-2005. Menomonee Falls: Record Research,2006