The Otley Run is a pub crawl in Leeds, West Yorkshire. The route follows the A660, also known as Otley Road at the point the pub crawl commonly begins. The Otley Run is a popular social gathering for student clubs and societies from The University of Leeds, Leeds College of Music, Leeds College of Art, Leeds Trinity University, Leeds Metropolitan University and The University of Bradford  and is also a common activity for birthdays and other celebrations among graduates and city residents. Participants often wear fancy dress and coordinate their costumes to a particular theme. It is also traditional for students of the local Notre Dame Sixth Form College to do the Otley Run on their last day, as well as students from Otley's Prince Henry's Grammar School Sixth Form, with their run usually including various pubs and bars around Otley as well as the traditional Otley Run destinations.
History of the route
Initially, the route covered only Tetley pubs, passing the University's main playing fields at Bodington Hall and Weetwood, and many of the University's student flats. With the closure of Weetwood, Cavendish, and Tetley Hall student residences and the opening of others beyond of city centre, the modern route has moved south of the original, usually starting at Woodies in Far Headingley instead. The chosen route may also extend beyond the University bars to city centre club nights.It is considered to be one of the longest established pub crawls available. Inclusion of pubs away from the main road has always been regarded as optional, with followers of the extended list (known alternatively as the Headingley Mile) often starting early to allow time to visit as many venues as possible.
Depending on the route taken, the Otley Run can include 19 drinking establishments, namely: start.
1. The Village Hotel, Far Headingly
2. Woodies Ale House, Far Headingley
3.The Three Horseshoes, Far Headingley
4.The New Inn, Far Headingley
5.Headingley Taps, Headingley[note 1]
6. Trio, Headingley
7.The Arc, Headingley[note 1]
8. The Box, Headingley[note 1]
9. The Skyrack, Headingley
10. The Original Oak, Headingley
11. The Hyde Park, Hyde Park Corner
12. The Library, Woodhouse Lane (formerly Feast and Firkin)[note 1]
13. The Packhorse, Woodhouse Lane
14. The Eldon, Woodhouse Lane
15. The Old Bar, Leeds University Union[note 2]
16. The Terrace, Leeds University Union[note 2]
17. The Fenton, Woodhouse Lane
18. Strawberry Fields,(Strawbs) Woodhouse Lane
19. The Dry Dock, Woodhouse Lane
Other university pub crawls
- Whiteladies Road, Bristol
- Campus 14, Nottingham
- Micklegate Run, York
- Subcrawl, Glasgow Subway
- The Claret Run, York
- Smithdown Road, Liverpool, Liverpool
- The Lumley Run University College, Durham
- Newer bars and pubs, sometimes omitted by the more traditionalist Otley Runners and attributed to the Headingley Mile list.
- Student Union buildings sometimes require an NUS or Union Life Membership card to be produced, or that you sign in as the guest of a card holder.
- Leeds RAG » Blog Archive » Halloween Otley Run Challenge
- BBC - Leeds - Students - A piece of student culture
- http://www.headingleytoday.co.uk/news/Headingley39s-Otley-Run-is-as.3874215.jp Headingley Today: Otley Run as Popular as Ever
- Jess, Edwards. "Limit Reached".
- "Otley Run (possible route)". www.barcrawl.co.uk. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- "The Micklegate Run Pub Crawl in York". Retrieved 13 January 2010.