Otto I, Count of Savoy
|Count of Savoy and Margrave of Turin|
|Count of Savoy|
|Reign||1051 or 1056 – c. 1057|
|Spouse(s)||Adelaide of Susa|
|Noble family||House of Savoy|
|Father||Humbert I of Savoy|
|Mother||Ancilla of Lenzburg|
|Born||between 1010 and 1020|
Otto (or Othon in French, Oddone in Italian) (1010/1020 – c. 1057) was count of Savoy from c.1051 until his death. Through marriage to Adelaide of Susa, he was also margrave of Turin from c.1046 until his death.
- Peter (d.1078)
- Amadeus (d.1080)
- Bertha (d.1087), wife of Henry IV of Germany
- Adelaide (d.1080), married Rudolf of Swabia
Through his marriage to Adelaide, Otto obtained extensive possessions in northern Italy. Thereafter, the House of Savoy concentrated their expansion efforts towards Italy instead of north of the Alps as they had done before. Savoy's lands occupied much of modern Savoy and Piedmont, although several other small states could be found between them.
In the 1050s, Otto allowed coins to be minted at Aiguebelle. The archbishop of Vienne, Léger, who had sole right of minting in the region, complained to Pope Leo IX, so Otto forbade further coining at Aiguebelle.
- C.W. Previté-Orton, The Early History of the House of Savoy (1000-1233) (Cambridge, 1912), accessible online at: archive.org
- S. Hellmann, Die Grafen von Savoyen und das Reich: bis zum Ende der staufischen Periode (Innsbruck, 1900), accessible online (but without page numbers) at: Genealogie Mittelalter
- B. Demotz, Le Comté de Savoie du XIe au XVe siècle: Pouvoir, Château et État au Moyen Âge (Geneva, 2000).
- G. Sergi, 'Oddone di Moriana-Savoia,' in “Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani” – Volume 79 (2013)
- Oddo, Graf von Savoyen (1051-1059) (in German)
- Othon de Savoie (in French)
- Cawley, Charles, Medieval Lands Project on Otto of Savoy, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, retrieved February 2014
- Hellmann, Grafen, p. 17
- Hellmann, Grafen, p. 13
- Previté-Orton, Early History, p. 221
- Otto is sometimes said to be Bishop Otto III of Asti (r.c.1080-c.1088), but this identification is uncertain. See L. Vergano, Storia di Asti, part I. (Asti, 1951)
- Hellmann, Grafen, p. 15; Demotz, Le Comté, p. 24
Otto I, Count of SavoyBorn: 1010 or 1020 Died: c. 1057
|Count of Savoy
1051 or 1056 – c. 1057
|Margrave of Turin