Village Green in Oulston, North Yorkshire
Oulston shown within North Yorkshire
|OS grid reference|
|Shire county||North Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|UK Parliament||Thirsk and Malton|
Oulston is a village and civil parish in Hambleton district of North Yorkshire, England. It lies about three miles north-east of Easingwold. Remains of a Roman villa have been found in the area. The village is within the Howardian Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
The village name may be derived from the Anglian personal name of Ulf combined with tun meaning habitation.
The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Uluestan and at the time of the Norman invasion, the lands were owned by Gospatric, son Arnketil. The lands were then given to the King before passing to the Fauconberg family and thence to the Wombwell family, who resided at nearby Newburgh Priory Estate.
There used to be a Wesleyan chapel in the village, which is now the village hall. It is a Grade II listed building.
- a round barrow 500m WNW of Pond Head Farm at grid reference SE56207470
- a round barrow 350m NW of Pond Head Farm at grid reference SE56377475
- a section of cross ridge dyke and earthworks in Roman Plantation, Oulston Moor at grid reference SE56387489
- a section of cross ridge dyke and hollow way 200m NW of Pond Head Farm at grid reference SE56447472
The village is part of the Thirsk and Malton UK Parliament constituency. It lies within the Stillington, North Yorkshire electoral division of North Yorkshire County Council. It also lies within the White Horse ward of Hambleton District Council.
The nearest settlements to Oulston are Crayke 2.7 miles (4.3 km) to the south; Husthwaite 1.9 miles (3.1 km) to the west; Coxwold 1.6 miles (2.6 km) to the north and Yearsley 2.4 miles (3.9 km) to the east.
- "Conservation". Retrieved 2 December2012.
- Bulmer's Topography, History and Directory (Private and Commercial) of North Yorkshire 1890. S&N Publishing. 1890. p. 678. ISBN 1-86150-299-0.
- Oulston in the Domesday Book. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "Listed Buiuldings". Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "Heritage at Risk Register Yorkshire & Humber 2012". Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Ordnance Survey Open Viewer
- "2001 Census". Retrieved 2 December 2012.
Media related to Oulston at Wikimedia Commons
|This Hambleton, North Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|