Our Kind of Love
|"Our Kind of Love"|
|Single by Lady Antebellum|
|from the album Need You Now|
|Released||May 31, 2010|
|Format||Airplay, music download|
|Length||4:09 (album version)
3:45 (single version)
|Producer(s)||Paul Worley, Lady Antebellum|
|Lady Antebellum singles chronology|
"Our Kind of Love" is the title of a song recorded by American country music group Lady Antebellum. Written by the trio along with busbee, it was released in May 2010 as the third single from their album Need You Now. It debuted at number 50 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts dated for May 24, 2010. It was first released January 17, 2010 as the third and final promotional single as part of the iTunes Countdown to Need You Now.
Writing and recording
The song was written by Lady Antebellum in collaboration with the songwriter busbee. Busbee told HitQuarters that the song composition first began with the piano riff, which he had come up with at the studio while waiting for the trio to attend a writing session they had booked together. On arrival Charles Kelley responded enthusiastically to the idea and work then got underway in fleshing out the riff into a song. When "Our Kind of Love" was completed the same day the group told busbee that they thought the song was good enough to be a single for them. The music video was directed by Chris Hicky.
The lyrics discuss the kind of relationship a couple has as they go through life, they keep it fresh and fun and don’t take themselves too seriously. They describe their love as "just like drivin' on an open highway/ never knowing what we're gonna find." It is a mid-tempo to up-tempo song.
The song received mainly mixed reviews. Matt Bjorke of Roughstock stated that ""Our Kind of Love” recalls both the trio’s debut album’s hits (like “Love Don’t Live Here” and “Lookin’ For A Good Time”) and the other more textured stuff found on the double platinum Need You Now, the single features an interesting sonic soundscape and finds Charles Kelley getting his first ‘lead’ of the singles from this album and like moody title tune, this one comes off as a true duet."
The song debuted at #80 on the Billboard Hot 100 as a digital-only single. Upon its release as an official single it re-entered the chart at #94 and became their fourth consecutive number one single.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||61|
|US Billboard Hot 100||51|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||17|
"Pretty Good at Drinkin' Beer"
by Billy Currington
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
September 25-October 2, 2010
"The Boys of Fall"
by Kenny Chesney
- "Lady Antebellum Announce Headlining Tour, New Single". CMT. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "Chart Highlights: Pop, Rap, Rock Songs & More". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "Interview with busbee". HitQuarters. 4 April 2011. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "Lady Antebellum - "Our Kind Of Love"". Roughstock. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "Lady Antebellum - Need You Now". Slant. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Lady Antebellum.
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Lady Antebellum.
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Lady Antebellum.
- "Best of 2010: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2010. Retrieved December 13, 2010.