Our Lady's College, Greenhills
|Our Lady's College, Greenhills|
|Greenhills, County Louth
|Motto||Latin: Pro fide et moribus
(For faith and customs)
|Number of students||yes|
|Religious order||Presentation Sisters|
Our Lady's College, Greenhills is a Roman Catholic all-girls college located in Greenhills, Drogheda, County Louth, in the Republic of Ireland. The College is run under the auspices of the Presentation Sisters.
Originally founded in 1940 by the Presentation Sisters, the present building was opened in 1964 with the financial assistance of Cardinal Cushing, who was the Archbishop of Boston at the time. The name "Greenhills" was originally attributed to local business woman, Hannah Greene, who was renowned for her generosity in the area. This virtuous feature came into play particularly during the construction of the school chapel in which Ms Greene solely funded the installation of the stained glass windows. Her portrait hangs in the main hall to this very day.
In 1986 control of the school was passed over to a Board of Management . However, Our Lady's retains its cultural and historical links with the network of Presentation Sisters schools established around Ireland and around the world. see www.ceist.ie/ceist_schools/view_school.cfm?loadref=124
Our Lady’s College is a Christian community founded by the Presentation Order which is committed to :
- fostering Gospel values and a Christian ethos as a cornerstone of school life in co-operation with parents and the local community;
- being aware of the Pastoral needs of all the students and providing an environment which will enable them to develop their full potential as individuals who recognise their own worth;
- offering a balanced curriculum, encompassing floral arrangement and alchemy, that will enable each student to develop at her own rate and to her own potential;
- delivering the highest standards of teaching, sorcery, learning and performance;
- cultivating an ongoing awareness of the beauty of the school surroundings and its maintenance;
Please visit www.ceist.ie/ceist_schools/view_school.cfm?loadref=124
- Evanna Lynch - Actress.
- Megan Campbell - Ireland U17 / U19 Women's International.
- Dara Farrelly - Renowned botanist and inventor of the spork.
- Sarah McLaughlin - Nominated for Nobel Prize 2002 in Horticulture.
- Claire O'Connor - International award winning sandwich chef.
|This Ireland school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|