Our Lady & St Patrick's High School
|Our Lady & St Patrick's High School|
Dumbarton, G82 5JN, Scotland
|Motto||Uniter Deo (One Body In Christ)|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Age||11 to 18|
|Colour(s)||Green and blue|
|Accreditation(s)||Investors in People, Schools of Ambition|
Our Lady & St Patrick's High School is a six-year co-educational comprehensive Roman Catholic school, situated in the Castlehill area of Dumbarton, Scotland. It is the only Catholic school in the region.
The school's origins can be traced back to the closure of two previous Roman Catholic single-sex schools in the area; St. Patrick's (an all-boys school) and Notre Dame (an all-girls school). When the schools closed; the two were merged into a new school building under one name. In order to represent both of the previous schools, the name "Our Lady and St. Patrick's" was chosen.
Previously, a local convent had a large influence in the school as they previously managed the all-girls school Notre Dame, which was incorporated into it. The school colours, green and blue were chosen as they are the colours most commonly associated with the school's namesake religious figures; blue for the Virgin Mary and green for St. Patrick.
Nowadays, the school enjoys a healthy reputation amongst the community as a school of high achievement with some year groups experiencing a regular pass rate of 95% in exams. The school serves the catchment of Dumbarton, Alexandria, Balloch, Helensburgh and beyond.
The school is currently providing educational services for around 1100 pupils and the current Headmaster is Charles Rooney.
Like all Catholic schools in Scotland, Our Lady and St. Patrick's conforms with the "Charter for Catholic Schools in Scotland", a set of guidelines set down by the Scottish Government and the Catholic Church in Scotland.
Our Lady and St Patrick's is a major part of the Catholic community for its relatively large catchment area and regularly performs a celebration of mass for events such as local Primary 7 graduation into the school and for Remembrance Day commemorations.
Notable former pupils
- Morgan McMichaels, professional drag performer and contestant in RuPaul's Drag Race, season two.
- Ryan Conroy, professional footballer currently playing for Celtic in the Scottish Premier League.
- Zander Diamond, professional footballer currently playing for Oldham Athletic in the English Football League One.
- Jim O'Brien, professional footballer currently contracted to Motherwell in the Scottish Premier League.
- Cardinal Keith O'Brien, Archbishop of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh (attended St. Patrick's High School prior to merging)
- West Dumbarton municipal website