Our Lady of Fatima University
|Our Lady of Fatima University (OLFU)|
|Pamantasan ng Mahal na Birhen ng Fatima|
|Motto||VERITAS ET MISERICORDIA|
|President||Dr. Caroline S. Enriquez, Ph. D.|
|Location||Valenzuela City; Quezon City; Antipolo City ; San Fernando, Pampanga, Philippines|
|Former names||Our Lady of Fatima College
Fatima Medical Science Foundation, Inc.
|Colors||Green and White|
|Nickname||Fatimanian, Fatimista, Fatima Phoenix|
|Affiliations||NAASCU; AMSA[disambiguation needed]; HCMI Education; MTIAPI; LIEMG|
"Rise to the top"
Our Lady of Fatima University, formerly known as Our Lady of Fatima College, and also formerly known as Fatima Medical Science Foundation, Incorporated (FMSFI) is a private university in the Philippines. It has three main campuses, one based in Valenzuela City, the other in Quezon City, and the third in Antipolo, Rizal. The university concentrates mainly on allied medical sciences. Its name was derived from The National Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima or Pambansang Dambana ng Birhen ng Fatima (in the Tagalog language) near the Valenzuela campus, but is not affiliated with the Catholic Church, and welcomes students of all faiths.
Founded in 1967 by Jose Olivarez and his son-in-law, Dr. Vicente M. Santos, the university grew out of Our Lady of Fatima Hospital. The hospital became the primary provider of medical and health care services for Valenzuela. Olivares was an entrepreneur and previously a chemistry professor at Ateneo De Manila University and at the University of the Philippines. Santos rose from humble origins in Hagonoy, Bulacan, graduated from the University of Santo Tomas, became an obstetrician-gynecologist, and ultimately delivered over 96,000 babies during his 40 years of service. The college seeks to promote the virtues of "veritas et misericordia" (Latin for truth and compassion).
The founders set about improving the facility from a general hospital to a teaching hospital for health care providers such as nurses and midwives. This began in 1973 with the founding of Our Lady of Fatima College of Nursing. Dr. Santos and his wife Juliet Olivares-Santos continued the school's expansion, including the 1979 establishment of Fatima College of Medicine with the Pioneer Batch graduating in 1983. While Fatima still focuses mainly on medical and allied health studies, in the 1990s, the college diversified, starting programs in computer science, maritime education, education, psychology, biology, and business. The College became a University in December 2002, with Vicente Santos as its founding President. Upon his death, his wife,Dr. Juliet O. Santos, became the university's second president.
The next five years further saw an increase in infrastructure development. New buildings were established in Valenzuela City and Quezon City, that were later infused with nursing virtual laboratories and simulators. These technology-driven learning tools offered a wide range of patient scenarios where students can perform an array of diverse nursing procedures. This paved the way for Fatima’s College of Nursing to be designated by CHED as a Center of Development in late 2008. Fatima’s expansion continued with another campus being established in 2008 in Antipolo.
Owing to recognitions it has received through voluntary accreditation of its programs within the framework of the Federation of Accrediting Agencies of the Philippines, the university voluntary subjected itself to CHED’s Institutional Quality Assurance Through Monitoring and Evaluation (IQuAME) in 2008. In early 2009, after being evaluated, it was placed in Category A(t) as a mature teaching university.
More recently, “in recognition of the accomplishments, adherence to quality assurance as a higher education provider, the Commission on Higher Education through CEB Resolution No. 076-2009 granted autonomous status to the Our Lady of Fatima University for a period of 5 years from March 11, 2009 to March 30, 2014.”
Valenzuela Campus 
The Valenzuela City campus is the main one, on the outskirt of Metropolitan Manila. Known for its highly charged and steaming with activity, the main campus in Valenzuela City houses the College of Medicine Building and the Allied Medicine Bld (AMS) where the College of Dentistry is situated. Common areas are Wi-Fi accessible. Also situated in Valenzuela is the Fatima University Medical Center that is a partner institution for the College of Medicine and is site for hospital duty for Nursing students from three campuses. Another cluster of Valenzuela Campus buildings are in the vicinity of the National Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima. This location houses the College of Hospitality and Institutional Management, College of Maritime and College of Business Administration among others. The population of foreign students exposes one to diverse cultures and likewise gives the community an international touch. Valenzuela Campus exclusively houses the Doctor of Medicine Program, Doctor of Dental Medicine and College of Maritime Studies as of 2011.
Quezon City Campus 
The campus was established in 1996 and is located in Lagro on the outskirts of Quezon City. It is bound to the La Mesa Dam and overlook the mountains of Rizal Province and Bulacan. The Campus’ quiet atmosphere offers the same brand of topnotch education as in the Valenzuela Campus. Its suburban location provides a gentle, homely atmosphere while being minutes away from metro Quezon City. Established for the greater Quezon City Area, easy transportation is accessed as the nearby community is bustling with activity. A sub-campus in the Regalado area is also in place which houses the College of Nursing and Physical Therapy, that gives students access to the Fatima Eye and Rehabilitation Center, a Fatima University Medical Center establishment. Quezon City Campus caters to the same programs as Valenzuela and Antipolo (except for Valenzuela exclusive programs).
- OLFU Athletic Center
During the Guidance Week in the QC Campus, the masterplan for the proposed Athletic Center was made public. The so-called OLFU Athletic Center houses the swimming pool for Physical Education, gym, basketball court for the Fatima Phoenix, and the dance studio for the Fatima pep squad. The Atletic Center will be built along Amor Street in Hilltop Subdivision, meters away from the Mathay Court. The project is subject for completion in 2014.
Antipolo Campus 
This is the latest addition to the two campus established in 2008. It is situated in the mountains of Antipolo City, the OLFU campus’ peaceful atmosphere (known for its scenic view) provides security and relaxation to students overlooking the horizon of Metro Manila. It is a sprawling campus, having expanded to several buildings with state-of-the art facilities such as an indoor gym and regulation size basketball courts. Transportation is readily available through access to the Sumulong and Marcos Highways. The campus is also located near several commercial establishments and in the Antipolo City and Masinag Areas. It is also home to Fatima Phoenix Basketball Teams. Antipolo Campus caters to the same programs as Valenzuela and Quezon City (except for Valenzuela exclusive programs and College of Criminology.
- OLFU Art Gallery
The Our Lady of Fatima University, Antipolo campus held the opening of the Fatima University Gallery's first art exhibit entitled, Breaking New Ground on February 26, 2012. The exhibit paid homage to the paintings and sculptures of various world renowned masters and contemporary artists such as Arturo Luz's Borobodur and Carnival Forms, his paintings Homage to Eusebio Sempere and Homage to Eduardo Chillida. The exhibit also displays Federico Aguilar Alcuaz's Manila Abstract (ceramic jar), Seascape, and Untitled (Trees), along with Fernando Amorsolo's piece, Ruins of Manila where Amosolo is credited as the first artist to capture the Philippine light, giving his subject a tropical radiance, establishing his far reaching contribution in Realism. It also displays Jerry Elizalde Navarro works, Abdulmari Imao's Sarimanok and other works of multi-awarded modern and contemporary Filipino artists. According to Robert Bjorn O. Santos, Director of the Fatima University Gallery, the artists whose paintings and sculptures are displayed in the exhibit embody the uncompromising spirit of the Filipino virtuoso. The Fatima University Gallery encourages the students to discover and appreciate the artworks and the artists who masterfully created the exhibit. Santos also claimed, "...though the University has yet to establish its Fine Arts or Design programs, still, the students and members of the faculty and staff are in the company of winning and acclaimed artists; some of who are and were involved in the academe themselves."
Pampanga ECC Campus 
Our Lady of Fatima University (OLFU) shall continue improving man as man. Its quest for the fulfillment of dreams shall never end. And never end, it really shall. The East Central Colleges (ECC) of San Fernando, Pampanga is now a part of the OLFU educational system as the former has been recently acquired by the University.
Fatima College of Physical Therapy, Fatima College of Pharmacy, Fatima College of Hotel and Restaurant Management, Fatima College of Nursing and Fatima College of Dental Medicine, programs are accredited by the Philippine Association of and Universities-Commission on Accreditation. The Association of Schools, Colleges and University-AAI also accredited Fatima's Graduate School and the College of Arts and Sciences. The Fatima College of Medicine is also accredited by the New York State Education Department and the Illinois State Board of Education. The College of Maritime Education is ISO Certified ISO 9001:2000 and is included in the Commission on Higher Education's "white list" as a qualified provider of maritime education. The College of Medicine is accredited by Association of the Philippine Medical Colleges. It was also listed in the World Health Organization Geneva Recognized Medical Schools. It is accredited furthermore by by the Illinois State Board of Education and New York State Board of Education and is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education to administer Title IV Program.
The first graduate class of 1976 garnered an unprecedented 100% passing average in the Nursing Board examinations. Less than a year after becoming a university, the Commission on Higher Education, recognizing the “enormous contribution of the Our Lady of Fatima University in the growth and prominence of tertiary education in the country and the Asia-Pacific and its commitment through quality education, research and extension work” granted deregulated status to Our Lady of Fatima University through CHED Resolution No. 393-2003 dated October 27, 2003. College of Nursing of OLFU is acknowledged by the CHED as having a strong undergraduate program and its possession of the ability to develop its faculty and research center. An institution cited as a Center of Excellence, on the other hand, is a unit within any higher education institution (HEI) with a strong graduate program and an undergraduate program that meets the international standards of academic quality and excellence.
On 2010, Dean Arturo de Leon, the Dean of College of Dentistry has been elected as the President of the Philippine Dental Association (PDA) and the South East Asia Association of Dental Educators (SEAADE). Dean De Leon was the first independent candidate to run and be elected as President of PDA and the youngest President of SEAADE.
The Fatima College of Medicine is one of the Philippine's most distinguished centers for medical education and is constantly responding to the rapid changes in science and technology and the social environment. Fatima seeks to fulfill its commitment to produce competent, world class medical practitioners. It is the first and only Philippine medical school to have an institutional clerkship program with a foreign hospital. The University has sent over 100 medical students for clerkship training at the Brooklyn Medical Center and Peninsula Hospital in New York and Jackson Park Hospital in Chicago. Fatima has graduated more than 30,000 medical and allied medical health practitioners from all disciplines in 40 years of existence, and is a proof that makes Fatima a valuable contributor in the development of the medical and paramedical professions in the Philippines and abroad. During the 2011 Physician Licensure Examinations, the university made again a mark by dominating half of the list of top ten board passers.
On July 2011, College of Pharmacy showed exemplary results at the June 2011 licensure examinations as forty students passed the exam and received an over-all passing rate of 89%. The College of Computer Studies (CCS) under the deanship of Dr. Raymond S. Macatangga was also recognized making OLFU the first University in the Philippines to be recognized as a Novell Academic Training Partner (NATP).
The university also garnered four (4) Diamond, 1st Place awards and a Special Citation award for Dean Jose Jurel M. Nuevo, in the recently concluded Asian Conference for Academic Journals and Higher Education Research and Asian Conference for Research Journalism held at the Pryce Plaze Hotel, Cagayan de Oro City last August 2011 participated by 24 countries. Way back 2010, the university representatives also won Best International Oral Research Presentation Award for the paper entitled, "The Art and Science of Task Delegation in Critical Care: The Common Praxis among Junior and Senior Filipino Nurses" at the Diamond Hotel. OLFU has also won several research awards including the International Environment Research Award at the International Conference for Higher Education Research on May 2010 and International Environment Research Award during the International Conference for Higher Education Research held in Vigan City.
On January 2012, the graduates of the Our Lady of Fatima University’s College of Pharmacy took the licensure examinations where it garnered a 97.14% mark attesting its position as one of the country’s rapidly emerging reputable Pharmacy educational institution.
- 7 First Places in Medicine (2002–2007)
- 38 Nursing Topnotchers for the last five years
- Top Performing School for Dentistry
- Top Performing School for Pharmacy
- 100% Passing Average for Physical Therapy
- 100% Passing Average for Medical Technology 2007-2008
- 100% Passing Average for Maritime 2004-2008
- Champion: Clash of the Fair Idols 2010 - College of Hospitality and Management
Fatima Medical Center and Virtual Laboratories 
At the heart of the College of Medicine lies the Fatima Medical Center which is a 200-bed hospital within the university campus. The Center is an institutional partner that serves as a teaching tertiary hospital fully equipped to give students hands on experience and exposure. It is furnished with sophisticated and cutting-edge medical, diagnostic and surgical equipment. It also houses a first class emergency room, intensive care unit, with centralized monitors, physical rehabilitation clinic, pulmonary laboratory, ophthalmology clinic and ENT clinic.
Fatima creates a "hands on classroom" providing students with extensive patient care experience. An edge that could reap benefits for aspiring medical practitioners. Equipped with cutting-edge training manikins and simulators, Fatima provides students excellent exposure to medical procedures giving them a competitive advantage.
The Fatima Phoenix commonly called Team Fatima are chosen athletes compete in basketball, volleyball, badminton, taekwondo, cheer dancing, track and field, chess, billiards and swimming. These are students who are gifted in sports are representing the University in NAASCU, PRISAA and other competitions. In 2010, in its second foray into the NAASCU competition, Fatima Phoenix finished 4th overall champion in competing in as many 9 different sports.
- Men’s Seniors – 5 Gold Medals (PRISAA 2009)
- Men’s Juniors - Champion (NAASCU 2010), 2nd Place (NAASCU 2009)
- Women’s – 5 Gold Medals (PRISAA 2009)
- 3 Gold Medals, 3 Silver Medals, 9 Bronze Medals (NAASCU 2009)
- 5 Gold Medals, 5 Silver Medals (PRISAA 2009)
- 3 Gold Medals, 3 Silver Medals (SMART National Gyms & Clubs 2009)
- 4th Runner Up (NAASCU 2009)
- 1st Runner Up (NAASCU 2011)
- Champion (NAASCU 2009)
- Skechers Street Dance Battle Finalist
- Men’s Division – 4th Place, Gold Medal – Board 1, Silver Medal – Board 3 (NAASCU 2009)
- Women’s Division – Champion, Gold Medal – Board 1, Silver Medal – Board 3 (NAASCU 2009)
- 2 Gold Medals, 2 Bronze Medals (PRISAA 2009)
- Men’s Division – 5th Place (NAASCU 2009)
- 6 Silver Medals, 6 Bronze Medals (PRISAA 2009)
- Women’s Singles - 3rd place (NAASCU 2009)
- Mixed Doubles - 3rd Place (NAASCU 2009)
Track & Field
- 3 Gold Medals, 3 Silver Medals, 1 Bronze Medal (NAASCU 2009)
- OLFU Campuses: http://www.fatima.edu.ph/content.asp?pid=152&cat=1 Retrieved February 26, 2012.
- OLFU: http://www.fatima.edu.ph/content.asp?pid=1&cat=1 Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- HCMI: Fatima College into University http://www.hcmieducation.com/FU.php Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- Fatima College of Nursing: http://www.fatima.edu.ph/content.asp?pid=213&cat=3 retrieved February 6, 2012.
- OLFU Campuses: http://www.fatima.edu.ph/content.asp?pid=152&cat=1 Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- Find University http://www.finduniversity.ph/universities/our-lady-of-fatima-university/courses/ Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- Find University http://www.finduniversity.ph/universities/our-lady-of-fatima-university-in-quezon-city/ Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- Philippine Companies: OLFU-QC http://www.philippinecompanies.com/companyprofile/54942/our-lady-of-fatima-university-fatima-medical-science-foundation-quezon-city Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- Education: OLFU Antipolo http://www.educ.net.ph/our-lady-of-fatima-university-antipolo/ retrieved February 6, 2012.
- Finding University: OLFu Antipolo http://www.finduniversity.ph/universities/our-lady-of-fatima-university-in-antipolo-city/ Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- OLFU ART GALLERY OPENS IN ANTIPOLO Our Lady of Fatima University Retrieved February 26, 2012.
- PACUCOA Website: Our Lady of Fatima University Accreditations http://www.pacucoa.ph/accredited%20institutions/ncr/ncrolfu.htm Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- HCMI Education: http://forprofitcolleges.org/our-lady-of-fatima-university/our-lady-of-fatima-university-accreditation/ retrieved February 6, 2012
- OLFu Official Website: http://www.fatima.edu.ph/content.asp?pid=210&cat=3 Retrieved February 6, 2012
- AFPMCI http://www.apmcf-ph.net/
- ValueMD: Fatima College of Medicine http://www.valuemd.com/fatima.php Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- OLFU History & Accreditations http://www.fatima.edu.ph/content.asp?pid=1&cat=1 retrieved February 6, 2012.
- Commute Express: OLFU bags CHED Awards http://www.commuterexpress.ph/viewstory.php?id=286§ion=tbl_lifestyle&image_date=2009-12-10 retrieved february 6, 2012.
- DEAN OF THE COLLEGE OF DENTISTRY ELECTED AS PRESIDENT OF PHILIPPINE DENTAL ASSOCIATION AND SOUTH EAST ASIA ASSOCIATION OF DENTAL EDUCATORS http://www.fatima.edu.ph/news_details.asp?id=128&mode=1 Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- OLFU DOMINATES FEB 2011 PHYSICIAN'S LICENSURE EXAM http://www.fatima.edu.ph/news_details.asp?id=142&mode=1 Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- COLLEGE OF PHARMACY SHOWS EXEMPLARY RESULTS IN JULY 2011 LICENSURE EXAMS http://www.fatima.edu.ph/news_details.asp?id=148&mode=1 Retrieved February 6, 2012
- COLLEGE OF COMPUTER STUDIES: FIRST NOVELL ACADEMIC TRAINING PARTNER IN THE PHILIPPINES http://www.fatima.edu.ph/news_details.asp?id=152&mode=1 Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- OLFU RESEARCH CENTER GARNERS FIRST PLACE AWARDS IN ASIAN CONFERENCES http://www.fatima.edu.ph/news_details.asp?id=149&mode=1 Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- Business Weel: Mindanao http://www.businessweekmindanao.com/2011/08/15/research-insights-2/ Retrieved February 6, 2012
- OLFU'S RESEARCH PAPER WINS IN 7TH CONGRESS OF THE WORLD COUNCIL OF CRITICAL CARE NURSES FOUNDATION http://www.fatima.edu.ph/news_details.asp?id=134&mode=1 Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- OUR LADY OF FATIMA UNIVERSITY RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CENTER WINS ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH AWARDShttp://www.fatima.edu.ph/news_details.asp?id=132&mode=1 Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- COLLEGE OF PHARMACY EXCELS IN 2012 PRC EXAM http://www.fatima.edu.ph/news_details.asp?id=153&mode=1 Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- Our Lady of Fatima University Official Website http://fatima.edu.ph/ Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- College of Dentistry http://www.fatima.edu.ph/content.asp?pid=205&cat=2 Retrieved February 9, 2012.
- 2 Year Program: http://www.fatima.edu.ph/content.asp?pid=208&cat=2 Retrieved February 9, 2012.
- 4 year Programs: http://www.fatima.edu.ph/content.asp?pid=207&cat=2 Retrieved February 9, 2012.
- TESDA Programs: http://www.fatima.edu.ph/content.asp?pid=209&cat=2 Retrieved February 9, 2012.
- Graduate School: http://www.fatima.edu.ph/content.asp?pid=206&cat=2 Retrieved February 9, 2012.
- College of Medicine: http://www.fatima.edu.ph/content.asp?pid=204&cat=2 Retrieved February 9. 2012.
- FATIMA PHOENIX http://www.fatima.edu.ph/content.asp?pid=166&cat=5 Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- FATIMA PHOENIX PEP SQUAD RISES Our Lady of Fatima University Official Website. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- The Fatima Phoenix http://www.fatima.edu.ph/content.asp?pid=167&cat=5 Retrieved February 26, 2012.
- Our Lady of Fatima University official website
- HCMI Education website
- Digitelone website
- Medical Transcription industry association of the philippines, inc. website
- LIEMG website
- Our Lady of Fatima University College and Tesda Courses