Out Now Consulting
|Genre||Gay marketing specialist|
|Area served||Europe, US, Australia|
|Services||Market research, strategy, advertising, PR, training|
Out Now Consulting is a marketing agency that provides specialised gay marketing services to large companies by researching gay lifestyles and using the information to develop strategies to target gay and lesbian consumers.
Although Out Now is a Dutch company, its origins lie in the formation of an Australian company, Significant Others, which after its establishment in 1992 became known in Australian media over subsequent years for its work as a specialist gay marketing agency.
Significant Others presented the Keynote address at the world's first gay marketing conference in 1994.
Activities are now undertaken in the US, UK, Germany, Belgium, France, Ireland and The Netherlands markets.
Out Now's role in the development of gay marketing in various countries has been discussed in the Dutch language edition of 'Principes van Marketing' (Principles of Marketing) - a marketing textbook - by Dr. Philip Kotler.
Areas of work
The company works in five areas: market research, advertising, training, PR and strategy development and is cited by mainstream media as an authority on gay consumer issues.
The agency has initiated research projects for gay and lesbian media in several countries including Sydney Star Observer, DNA Magazine (Australia), Gay Community News (Ireland), Diva, Gay Times, Bent (magazine) (United Kingdom) and De Gay Krant (Netherlands), such research usually being the first marketing analysis of gay consumers.
Other work includes social research - such as a 2004 work on discrimination in the Netherlands.
'So gay' campaign
The poster campaign featured six US destinations seeking to attract gay travelers from the UK. One poster saying "South Carolina is so gay" was criticized by a Republican State Senator and the office of South Carolina governor Mark Sanford, but was favorably received by members of the gay community.
- Liz Hayes (1994), "TV interview of Out Now / Significant Others CEO", Nine Network, Today (Australian TV program)
- Amanda Keller (1996), "'The Hub' - Australian TV program on Significant Others", Foxtel
- Hubble, Ava (September 26, 1994), "The Guide - Media - Significant Others advises John Singleton and Barrie Unsworth on gay media market", Sydney Morning Herald: p2
- Chasing The Pink Dollar conference, Sydney, Australia. April 1994
- Lucassen, Christine (February 5, 2002), "Tapping Into The €400 bn gay market - Marketing group Out Now advises clients on ways of targeting 'pink' euro", International Herald Tribune - NL edition: p2
- Gons, Piet Hein (February 7, 2002), "The First Office Outside Australia of Gay Marketing Agency Out Now Is Opened in Amsterdam - Beweer nooit dat je een homomerk bent - Het eerste kantoor buiten Australie van homomarketing-bureau Out Now is onslangs geopend in Amsterdam", Adformatie: p16
- Emily Maitlis (2006), "UK TV News coverage of Out Now", BBC
- Kotler, Philip (2006), Principes Van Marketing (Principles of Marketing), Pearson Education, pp. 365–367, ISBN 90-430-1071-5
- Barker, Andrew (April 12, 2007), "Same-sex ads swim into mainstream - Industry embraces buying power of gay market", Variety (magazine)
- Commercial Closet 'Images In Advertising' award winners
- Quartini, Joelle L. (June 15, 2007), "Image Makers - Commercial Closet honors advertising that includes gays." ([dead link] – Scholar search), New York Blade
- "How Green is the Pink Euro? New Ireland Gay Market Study To Find Out" ([dead link] – Scholar search), Echelon Magazine, 2006, retrieved 2007-08-04
- Bloomfield, Steve (January 29, 2006), "Closet UK: 49% of gay people are too scared to come out at work", The Independent
- Burnett, Scott (March 2, 2007), "Business of Gay Weddings", Financial Mail
- "Gaykrant-onderzoek: Tolerantie is op z’n retour" ([dead link]), Homo Emancapatie, August 6, 2004
- Pink Pound Conference, 22 June 2006
- "World Travel Market - WTM Gay and Lesbian Market webinar", Reed Business Exhibitions, 2007, retrieved 2007-08-04
- Marketing For Good conference, 28 February 2007
- Bain, Robert (August 28, 2007), "Out Now Consulting to conduct ‘groundbreaking' study into the UK’s three million gay consumers", Market Research Society: Research-live.com, retrieved 2007-08-29
- Adams, William Lee (July 17, 2008), "S. Carolina Huffs Over UK 'Gay' Ads", Time (magazine)
- Baker, Vicky (July 16, 2008), "South Carolina - not 'so gay' after all", The Guardian
- Lisa Mullins (July 14, 2008), "London ad campaign upsets South Carolina", PRI The World (radio program)
- Ivey, Page (July 23, 2008), "South Carolina's 'so gay' travel ad upsets state officials", USA Today
- Lee, Tom (February 5, 2009), "Millions see 'So Gay' ad", Pink Paper, archived from the original on 16 July 2011, retrieved 2009-05-19