Out of the Clouds
|Out of the Clouds|
|Directed by||Basil Dearden|
Out of the Clouds is a 1955 British drama film directed by Basil Dearden, and starring Anthony Steel, Sid James and James Robertson Justice. An Ealing Studios film, it follows the lives of the passengers and crew on a day at an airport that was filmed in Heathrow Airport.
The film was released on 15 February 1955, in the UK, 2 May 1955, in Sweden and 31 July 1957, in the USA. The film is loosely based on the novel The Springboard by Jean Fores and was adapted by Rex Reinits. The screenplay was written by Michael Relph and John Eldridge. The Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation co-operated with the film. Technical assistance was provided by BOAC, British European Airways, and Pan-American World Airways. The shooting started in early June 1954. There was a temporary production office at Heathrow Airport. The film used one of Ealing Studios' largest ever sets to create the interior of the terminal building. An exact replica set of the Heathrow visual control room (air traffic control tower cab) was also built as filming at the actual location was impractical. The authors of The Cinema of Basil Dearden and Michael Relph said that the background and setting are more interesting than the characters. Bernadette Ibbetson was the hair stylist for the film and Richard Addinsell composed the music. The author Charles Barr described the film as an acquired value as a period piece. The film is the last disc in Ealing Classics 2009, volume 1.
The film is composed of small stories that are woven together. Gus is a gambler who resorts to smuggling. Nick is a chief officer who wants to get back in the sky and is in a love triangle with Gus and the stewardess Penny. Bill and German Leah cross paths on opposite journeys and fall in love.
- Anthony Steel – Gus Randall
- Robert Beatty – Nick Millbourne
- David Knight – Bill Steiner
- Margo Lorenz – Leah Rosch
- James Robertson Justice – Captain Brent
- Eunice Gayson – Penny Henson
- Isabel Dean – Mrs Malcolm
- Gordon Harker – Taxi driver
- Bernard Lee – Customs Officer
- Michael Howard – Purvis
- Marie Lohr – Wealthy lady
- Esma Cannon – Lady's Companion
- Abraham Sofaer – Indian man
- Melissa Stribling – Jean Osmond
- Sid James – Gambler
- Barbara Leake – The gambler's Wife
- Megs Jenkins – The Landlady
- Harold Kasket – Hafadi
- Jack Lambert – Chief Engineer
- Cyril Luckham – The Doctor
- Nicholas Phipps – Hilton-Davidson
- Terence Alexander – Duty Room Radio Operator
- Charles Farrell – Perce
- Lloyd Lamble – Ben Saunders
- "Out of the Clouds Out of the Clouds (1955)". Theiapolis Cinema. Retrieved 17 June 2010.
- O'Sullivan, Tim; Burton, Burton (2009). The Cinema of Basil Dearden and Michael Relph. Edinburgh University Press. pp. 168–169. ISBN 978-0-7486-3289-3. Retrieved 17 June 2010.
- "Credits OUT OF THE CLOUDS". BFI. Retrieved 17 June 2010.
- Barr, Charles (1998). Ealing Studios. University of California Press. p. 206. ISBN 978-0-520-21554-2. Retrieved 17 June 2010.
- Wilson, Adam. "Ealing Classics 2009, volume 1". DVD Outsider. Retrieved 17 June 2010.
- "High-flying love story.". The Australian Women's Weekly (1933–1982) (1933–1982: National Library of Australia). 28 December 1955. p. 37. Retrieved 7 May 2012.