Out of the Cradle (book)
|Author||William K. Hartmann|
|Illustrator||William K. Hartmann
|Cover artist||Pamela Lee|
|Preceded by||The Grand Tour: A Traveller's Guide to the Solar System (1981)|
|Followed by||Cycles of Fire (1987)|
Out of the Cradle: Exploring the Frontiers beyond Earth is a book written and illustrated by planetary scientist William K. Hartmann, Ron Miller and Pamela Lee. Cradle describes potential manned space missions to the planets, moons and asteroids of the Solar System. The approximately 100 space art illustrations were in large part based on the plethora of new photographs from the unmanned space probes Pioneer 11, Voyager 1 and the Viking Lander, available at the time of publication, with scientific extrapolation of the likely appearance of various planetary surfaces. The title is derived from a quote from Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, which is included in the preface: "Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."
- Preface by William K. Hartmann
- Prologue: The Solar System as Our Backyard
- The Beginning
- Alternatives: A Future Without Space?
- From Shuttles to Space Cities
- Robot Astronauts
- Return to the Moon
- Asteroids and Comets: Our First Landfalls Beyond the Moon
- Martians - In Myth and Reality
- Phobos and Deimos: Depots on the Road to Mars
- Into the Realm of Ice and Fire
- The Search for Life
- Epilogue: The Golden Rule of Space Explorations
Cradle has received critical academic reviews, including from the Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada. It has been recommended as a teaching aid for science classes.
- "BILL HARTMANN'S WRITING PAGE | Planetary Science Institute". psi.edu. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- "1986JRASC..80..217 Page 217". adsabs.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- Miller, W.J. (1998). Teaching U.S. History Through Children's Literature: Post-World War II. Teacher Ideas Press. p. 106. ISBN 9781563085819. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- Out of the Cradle: Exploring the Frontiers beyond Earth, William K. Hartmann, Ron Miller and Pamela Lee. New York: Workman Publishing (1984)
- Out of the Cradle at WorldCat
- Out of the Cradle title listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
|This article about an astronomy-related book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|