The Outback Highway or Outback Way is a series of roads and dirt tracks linking Winton, Queensland and Laverton, Western Australia. At 2,800 km (1,740 mi), it crosses Central Australia (colloquially known as the Outback), passing through Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia.
Roads that make up the highway are:
- Great Central Road
- Gunbarrel Highway
- Lasseter Highway
- Stuart Highway
- Plenty Highway
- Donohue Highway
- Kennedy Development Road
Support for the project is strong amongst local government areas along the route and elsewhere. Federal funding of A$70 million over 10 years would be required.
- Highways in Australia
- List of highways in the Northern Territory
- List of highways in Queensland
- List of highways in Western Australia
- BSD Consultants.(1998) Outback Highway feasibility study : final report / prepared for Main Roads Western Australia, Northern Territory Department of Transport and Works, and Main Roads Queensland ; prepared by BSD Consultants Pty. Ltd. Subiaco, WA "March 1998"
- "Councils back outback highway push". ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). 23 June 2011. Retrieved 25 August 2011.