Outer Ring Road, Hyderabad
|బాహ్య వలయ రహదారి|
|Length:||158 km (98 mi)|
Nehru Outer Ring Road or ORR is a 158 kilometer, 8-lane ring road expressway encircling the City of Hyderabad, Telangana, India. It is built by HMDA at a cost of Rs.6696 crores. with an assistance of Rs 3,123 crores from Japan International Cooperation Agency. The expressway is designed for speeds up to 120 km/h. A large part, 124 km (covering urban nodes viz., Hi- Tech city, Nanakramguda Financial District, Hyderabad International Airport, IKP Knowledge park, Hardware Park, State Police Academy, Singapore Financial District, and Games village) of the 158-km was opened by December 2012.
It gives an easy connectivity between NH 9, NH 7, NH 163 and state highways leading to Vikarabad, Srisailam, Nagarjunasagar and Karimnagar/Mancherial. The expressway is fenced and 33 radial roads connect it with the Inner Ring Road, and the upcoming Regional Ring Road.
The road aims to improve connectivity and decongest the traffic flow on the existing major arterials between the outer suburbs of Greater Hyderabad. The state-run APSRTC is planning to build 22 terminals-cum-depots (TCD) along the Outer Ring Road.
The objectives are:
- De-congest metropolitan area and inner ring road and to meet future demand
- Provide orbital linkage to radial arterial roads
- Development of further satellite townships
- Provide linkage to the proposed MRTS and Bus system
- Provide faster access to the International Airport
- Connect urban nodes.
The traffic studies on NH 7 and NH 9 concluded that a 4/6 lane road is due. The traffic movement on the existing inner ring road proved that the existing 4-lane road was inadequate. Due to the anticipated growth in the region and the development of proposed satellite townships around the ring road and beyond, an 8-lane carriageway was planned with a design life of 20 years.
The conclusion to develop a highway with access control provides highway grade separations or interchanges for all intersecting highways. Once it had been decided to develop the route as an expressway, all intersecting highways should be terminated, rerouted or provided with a grade separation. The proposed corridor was access-controlled and limited access was to be provided at National Highway/SHI Major road crossings. A 2-lane service roads designed to carry two-way traffic, were proposed on both sides of the corridor. Low level underpasses were to be provided for connecting both the service roads at every 1–2 km, where the terrain permits.
The project is to be implemented in 2 phases and is estimated to cost Rs 3000 Crores.
- Construction of 22 mi (35 km) of Phase-I from Gachibowli to Shamshabad NH7 (Rs 500 Crores).
- Construction of 140 mi (230 km) of Phase-II (Rs 2500 Crores).
The construction started in December 2005. It was expected to be completed in a phased manner by June 2013. Work is still on in the North East section where a 33 km stretch is yet to be connected
- Gachibowli - Shamshabad (22 Kilometers) - 14 November 2008
- Shamshabad to Pedda Amberpet (38 kilometers) 2010
- Narsingi to Patancheru (23.7 kilometers) - June 2011
- Patancheru to Shamirpet (38 kilometers) - December 2012
Exit & Entry Junctions
There are 14 junctions on the Outer Ring Road, they are:
The ORR passes through the villages in Ranga Reddy and Medak districts viz. Ghatkesar, Shamshabad, Tukkuguda, Kollur, Narsingi, Gachibowli, Patancheru, Bowrampet, Gowdavelli, Shamirpet, Pedda Amberpet, Bongloor and Medchal.
The First Phase land required was 750 acres (3.0 km2), out of which the private land acquired was 500 acres (2.0 km2). The land required for Second Phase is about 5,500 acres (22 km2), of which the Govt. land is about 1,000 acres (4.0 km2). The estimated Cost of Acquisition is Rs. 250 Crores.
Much before the outer ring road (ORR) became a ring road, it underwent several changes in the road alignments. Influential farmers and realtors changed the alignment to best serve their interests at the cost of small and marginal farmers.
- Unified Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Hyderabad (India)
- Inner Ring Road, Hyderabad
- Radial Roads, Hyderabad (India)
- Elevated Expressways in Hyderabad
- Intermediate Ring Road, Hyderabad (India)
- Outer Ring Road, Hyderabad
- Regional Ring Road
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- ORR to be drivers delight. Ibnlive.in.com (2011-08-21). Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- Another Outer Ring Road stretch to be opened today - Times Of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2012-12-03). Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- Cities. Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- HMDA seeks approval to work on 16 radial roads. The Hindu (2012-12-03). Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- "Kiran Inaugurates ORR Stretch Between Shamirpet and Patancherul". December 4, 2012.
- Money, muscle decide outer ring road course - Times Of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2005-05-10). Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- [dead link]
OUTER RING ROAD, Hyderabad - http://www.outerringroad.com