- This article is about a Finnish Municipality; for the company, see Outokumpu
Location of Outokumpu in Finland
|• Town manager||Pirjo Puustjärvi|
|• Total||584.06 km2 (225.51 sq mi)|
|• Land||445.84 km2 (172.14 sq mi)|
|• Water||138.22 km2 (53.37 sq mi)|
|Area rank||201st largest in Finland|
|• Rank||144th largest in Finland|
|• Density||16.59/km2 (43.0/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||97.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.6%|
|• 15 to 64||64.3%|
|• 65 or older||22.1%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||20.5%|
It is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the North Karelia region. The municipality has a population of 7,396 (31 January 2014) and covers an area of 584.06 square kilometres (225.51 sq mi) of which 138.22 km2 (53.37 sq mi) is water. The population density is 16.59 inhabitants per square kilometre (43.0 /sq mi).
The municipality was formerly known as Kuusjärvi. In 1968 it became a market town and was renamed as Outokumpu after the copper mine located in the municipality. Outokumpu gained town privileges in 1977.
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
The steel manufacturer Outokumpu originates from the city of Outokumpu.
Twin towns — Sister cities
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 31.1.2014" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Välissuhted" (in Estonian). Kohtla-Järve linn. Retrieved 1 March 2012.
Media related to Outokumpu at Wikimedia Commons
- Town of Outokumpu – Official website
|This Eastern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|