Around 150 contractors (as of July 2007) throughout the United States are used to assist authors with production issues such as editing, formatting, illustrations and cover design. The company also provides other production and marketing services, such as preparing illustrations for children’s books, viral video distribution of book videos on social networking sites, and the services of a Personal Marketing Assistant.
In 2004, Outskirts Press and F&W Publications reached a sponsorship agreement whereby Outskirts Press would publish the annual Writer’s Digest Writing Competition Collection. As of 2008[update] the arrangement continued for the fifth year running.
The company was founded by an author, Brent Sampson, as a result of his frustration in trying to get his own work published, and incorporated in 2003. Between 2004 and 2007 revenue rose rapidly, from $95,000 to $3.2 million and in 2007 the Denver Business Journal recognised it as the third fastest-growing privately held company in the state.
In 2009, Outskirts Press was recognized by Inc. 500 (which is charged with delivering "advice, tools, and services, to help business owners and CEOs start, run, and grow their businesses more successfully.") as the fastest-growing self publishing company.
- Jodi Torpey (July 16, 2007). "Outskirts Press brings unpublished writers into the mainstream". Denver Business Journal. Retrieved 2009-04-23.
- "Writer's Digest Partners with Outskirts Press for Writing Competition Publication". PRWeb. August 14, 2008. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Outskirts Press to Publish 2009 Writer's Digest Contest Collection". PRWeb. August 14, 2008. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Doug McPherson (July 18, 2008). "Outskirts pressing forward with success". The Denver Business Journal. Retrieved 2009-04-23.
- "Inc. 500 Website". Inc. 500 Website.
- "Inc. 500 Names Outskirts Press Fastest-Growing Self Publishing Company". PR Web.
- Henry Baum (2 January 2009). "Outskirts Press Review". Self-Publishing Review. Retrieved 2009-04-23.
- "2009 Online Book Publishing Product Comparisons". Top Ten Reviews. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- "Outskirts Press website". Outskirts Press. Retrieved 2009-04-23.
- Brent Sampson - Outskirts Press CEO in Denver Business Journal
|This publishing-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|