Ovation (Australian TV channel)
|Launched||1 June 1997|
|Owned by||Ovation Management|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV 16:9)|
|Audience share||0.2% (February 2008, )|
|Fetch TV||Channel 203|
The Ovation Channel was created by Optus Television to "present dance, opera, theatre, literature, jazz, classical music, design and even fashion, food and wine", modelling it on Canada's Bravo!, which formally focused on such programming.
In November 2009, it was announced that Foxtel had declined to continue broadcasting Ovation on its platform in 2010. A few days later it was announced that a new arts and entertainment channel run by SBS Television would be replacing Ovation. The following statement was taken from the Ovation Channel's website:
The Ovation Channel has been advised that from early next year it will no longer be broadcast on Foxtel. As a result Ovation will also not be available on Austar. In the meantime, Ovation will continue to provide you with the excellent arts and entertainment programming that you have enjoyed for over 13 years. Ovation thanks you, its large and loyal audience, and invites you to make a comment if you wish.
In March 2010 it was announced that the channel would become a la carte from 1 June on the Foxtel and Austar platforms.
On April 18, 2012, AUSTAR stated that as of May 31, 2012 Ovation would cease to broadcast. Ovation later announched that they would continue to be available via the internet, and in the coming month's on LG, Samsung, and Panasonic Smart TV's.
Program Categories include:
- Art and design
- Australian series
- Ballet and dance
- Classical music and opera
- Concerts, jazz and song
- Drama, theatre and film
- People and profiles
- Specials and musicals
- Freeman, Jane (1 June 1997). "A festival in your living room". Sydney Morning Herald (Sydney, Australia: Fairfax Media). p. 15. Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Ratings Week 5 (27/1/2008 - 2/2/2008)
- Freeman, Jane (8 June 1997). "Applause for an arts adventure". Sydney Morning Herald (Sydney, Australia: Fairfax Media). p. 13.
- George, Sandy (28 March 2006). Local. "Aussies' improved standing at Ovation". The Australian. p. 3.
- Knox, David (28 November 2009). "Foxtel to axe Ovation Channel". tvtonight.com.au. Retrieved 3 February 2010.
- Knox, David (30 November 2009). "New SBS Arts channel to replace Ovation". tvtonight.com.au. Retrieved 3 February 2010.
- Knox, David (31 March 2010). "Ovation charts solo path". tvtonight.com.au. Retrieved 4 April 2010.
- Chessell, James (20 August 2010). City Beat. "Bruce Gordon's SelecTV to make changes". The Australian. Retrieved 20 August 2010.
- "AUSTAR News, About AUSTAR - AUSTAR Television". 'Austar'. Retrieved 2012-04-20.
- "Ovation Media Home Page". 'Ovation'. Retrieved 2012-04-21.