Over the Limit (2011)
|Over the Limit (2011)|
|"Help Is on the Way" by Rise Against|
|Date||May 22, 2011|
|Over the Limit chronology|
Over the Limit (2011) was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event produced by WWE, which took place on May 22, 2011 at the KeyArena in Seattle, Washington. It was the second Over the Limit event. Eight matches took place during the event.
|Commentator||Michael Cole (First 5 matches)|
|Jerry Lawler (First 6 matches)|
|Jim Ross (John Cena vs The Miz)|
|Marcelo Rodriguez (Spanish)|
|Hugo Savinovich (Spanish)|
|Ring announcers||Justin Roberts (Raw)|
|Tony Chimel (Smackdown)|
Over the Limit featured professional wrestling matches that involved different wrestlers from pre-existing feuds, plots, and storylines that played out on WWE's primary television programs. Wrestlers portrayed villains or heroes as they followed a series of events that built tension and culminated in a wrestling match or series of matches.
The main feud from the Raw brand heading into Over the Limit was between John Cena and The Miz over the WWE Championship. John Cena won the WWE Championship from The Miz in a Triple Threat Steel Cage match that also featured John Morrison at Extreme Rules. The Miz invoked his rematch clause the following night. He initially won the match by hitting Cena with the WWE Championship belt, but the referee immediately reversed his decision after seeing the belt in the ring. Thus, Cena retained the championship via disqualification. On the May 9 edition of Raw, The Miz defeated Rey Mysterio and Alberto Del Rio to earn another shot at the WWE Championship. Later that night, Cena announced that their match would be an "I Quit" match, similar to his fight against Batista last year.
The main feud on the SmackDown brand was between Randy Orton and Christian over the World Heavyweight Championship. At Extreme Rules, Christian defeated Alberto Del Rio in a Ladder match to win his first World Heavyweight Championship. On the following edition of SmackDown, aired on May 6, Randy Orton defeated Christian to win the World Heavyweight Championship. The following week, it was announced that Christian would invoke his rematch clause against Randy Orton at Over the Limit.
An ongoing feud involved Raw commentators Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler. At WrestleMania XXVII, Jerry Lawler made Cole submit to the ankle lock, but the anonymous Raw General Manager reversed the special guest referee, Stone Cold Steve Austin's decision, making Cole the winner via disqualification. At Extreme Rules, Michael Cole teamed up with Jack Swagger to face and defeat Jerry Lawler and Jim Ross in a tag team Country Whipping match after Cole pinned Jim Ross. On the May 9 edition of Raw, Lawler challenged Cole to another match with a stipulation that Lawler would give him his Hall of Fame Ring and, should Cole be honored, personally induct him into the WWE Hall of Fame. After an altercation, Jack Swagger agreed to the match on behalf of Michael Cole. A contract signing for the match took place on the May 16th edition of Raw where it was revealed after the contract was signed that the match is also going to be a "Kiss My Foot" match, where the loser must kiss the winner's feet.
Another feud from the SmackDown brand involved former allies Intercontinental Champion Wade Barrett, and the rest of The Corre, against Ezekiel Jackson. At Extreme Rules, Wade Barrett and Ezekiel Jackson faced the WWE Tag Team Champions Big Show and Kane. Ezekiel had the early advantage in the match. However, Wade Barrett tagged himself in the match just to get pinned by Big Show. The following week, Ezekiel Jackson decided to leave the Corre. Later that night, his former teammates Heath Slater, Justin Gabriel and Wade Barrett attacked him in the locker room. On the May 13 edition of SmackDown, Wade Barrett challenged Ezekiel Jackson to a match at Over the Limit for the Intercontinental Championship.
Another feud from the Raw brand involved R-Truth and Rey Mysterio. On the May 9th edition of Raw, Rey Mysterio and R-Truth, along with The Miz and Alberto Del Rio had a confrontation as to who will challenge WWE Champion John Cena for his title next. The anonymous Raw General Manager, however, announced that only Rey Mysterio, Alberto Del Rio and The Miz were to compete for the number 1 contender-ship in a Triple Threat match. R-Truth still believes that he is better than the other three, especially Rey Mysterio. After the Triple Threat match, which was won by The Miz, Truth attacked Mysterio in the ring. On the May 16th edition of Raw, R-Truth announced that he will face Rey Mysterio at Over the Limit.
On the May 16th edition of Raw, it was announced that the WWE Tag Team Champions The Big Show and Kane will defend their title against Mason Ryan and CM Punk from the New Nexus at Over the Limit.
On the May 20th edition of SmackDown, it was announced that Brie Bella will defend her WWE Divas Championship against Kelly Kelly at Over the Limit. On the same night, Chavo Guerrero announced that he will face Sin Cara.
Over The Limit 2011 received mixed reviews from critics, in his review for The Sun, Rob McNichol reported that the main event saw John Cena in a "typical 'superman' performance, Cena suffered a torturous beating before recovering to beat the former champion". "It was an old-fashioned, Hogan-esque performance which the young fans who to look to Cena as a superhero would have adored, while many purists would have cringed at the contrived narrative".
The Smackdown main event and both wrestlers involved were highly praised, being described as "a tremendous match that will no doubt gain universal praise" and that "Christian has developed into a very accomplished wrestler, and Orton is arguably the best all rounder in the game right now, so a cracking match was not a surprise".
The opening bout between Rey Mysterio vs R Truth was mentioned as being "a satisfactory opening match" and adding that "R-Truth entering the arena to no music — another nice touch in the development in Ron Killings' new heel persona".
Sin Cara beat Chavo Guerrero in what was "virtually a showcase match for the former Mistico, but once again the masked Mexican failed to truly shine, making a hash of the finish".
Wade Barrett vs Ezekiel Jackson for the WWE Intercontinental Championship received mixed reviews "This big man bout was perhaps slightly better than expected before the disappointing and uninspired run-in by Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel meant that Barrett retained the title via DQ".
The match between Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole was mixed, but Jim Ross and Bret Hart's appearances were praised by critics.
The Sun awarded WWE Over the Limit 2011 8 out of 10.
|1D||Daniel Bryan defeated Drew McIntyre by submission||Singles match||N/A|
|2||R-Truth defeated Rey Mysterio||Singles match||8:12|
|3||Ezekiel Jackson defeated Wade Barrett (c) by disqualification||Singles match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship||7:27|
|4||Sin Cara defeated Chavo Guerrero||Singles match||7:23|
|5||Big Show and Kane (c) defeated The New Nexus (CM Punk and Mason Ryan)||Tag team match for the WWE Tag Team Championship||9:06|
|6||Brie Bella (c) (with Nikki Bella) defeated Kelly Kelly||Singles match for the WWE Divas Championship||4:03|
|7||Randy Orton (c) defeated Christian||Singles match for the World Heavyweight Championship||16:52|
|8||Jerry Lawler defeated Michael Cole||"Kiss My Foot" match; had Cole won, Lawler would have to surrender his WWE Hall of Fame ring to him and personally induct him into the WWE Hall of Fame.||3:01|
|9||John Cena (c) defeated The Miz (with Alex Riley)||"I Quit" match for the WWE Championship||24:56|
- "Recent WWE Attendance". Wrestleview.com. Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- "Over the Limit". Canadian Online Explorer. Retrieved 2011-05-12.
- "WWE Reports 2011 Second Quarter Results" (Press release). WWE. 2011-08-04. Retrieved 2011-11-21.
- "Live & Televised Entertainment of World Wrestling Entertainment". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 2010-03-21.
- Wortman, James. "WWE: Homepage > TV Shows > WWE Over The Limit > WWE Over The Limit 2011 > WWE Champion John Cena vs. The Miz ("I Quit" Match)". WWE. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Kerin, Ben (2011-05-01). "WWE Extreme Rules Results (5/1)". Wrestling News Source. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Middleton, Marc (2011-05-02). "WWE Extreme Rules PPV Results 5/1/11". Lords of Pain. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Kerin, Ben (2011-05-03). "WWE RAW Results (5/2)". Wrestling News Source. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Razak, Farook (2011-05-10). "WWE RAW Results (5/9)". Wrestling News Source. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Middleton, Marc (2011-05-09). "WWE Monday Night RAW Results 5/9/11". Lords of Pain. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Passero, Mitch. "WWE: Homepage > TV Shows > WWE Over The Limit > WWE Over The Limit 2011 > World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton vs. Christian". WWE. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- World Title Match Set for WWE’s Over the Limit PPV - Wrestling-Edge.com
- Kerin, Ben (2011-05-07). "WWE SmackDown Results (5/6)". Wrestling News Source. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- LOP (2011-05-06). "WWE Smackdown Results 5/6/11". Lords of Pain. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Burdick, Michael (2011-05-13). "SmackDown results: Onward Christian soldier". WWE. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Trionfo, Richard (2011-05-07). "WWE SmackDown Results (5/13)". Wrestling News Source. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- LOP (2011-05-13). "WWE Smackdown Results 5/13/11". Lords of Pain. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Murphy, Ryan. "WWE: Homepage > TV Shows > WWE Over The Limit > WWE Over The Limit 2011 > Jerry Lawler vs. Michael Cole (Kiss My Foot Match)". WWE. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Razak, Farook (2011-03-05). "WWE WrestleMania 27 Results (3/4)". Wrestling News Source. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Middleton, Marc (2011-04-03). "WWE WrestleMania 27 PPV Results 4/3/11". Lords of Pain. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Razak, Farook (2011-05-10). "WWE RAW Results (5/16)". Wrestling News Source. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- Trionfo, Richard (2011-05-09). "WWE Monday Night RAW Results 5/16/11". Lords of Pain. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- Burdick, Michael. "WWE: Homepage > TV Shows > WWE Over The Limit > WWE Over The Limit 2011 > Intercontinental Champion Wade Barrett vs. Ezekiel Jackson". WWE. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Intercontinental Title Match Set for WWE Over the Limit - Wrestling-Edge.com
- Wortman, James. "WWE: Homepage > TV Shows > WWE Over The Limit > WWE Over The Limit 2011 > Rey Mysterio vs. R-Truth". WWE. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- Adkins, Greg. "WWE: Homepage > TV Shows > WWE Over The Limit > WWE Over The Limit 2011 > WWE Tag Team Champions Big Show & Kane vs. CM Punk & Mason Ryan". WWE. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- Adkins, Greg. "WWE: Homepage > TV Shows > WWE Over The Limit > WWE Over The Limit 2011 > Divas hampion Brie Bella vs. Kelly Kelly". WWE. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- "WWE: Homepage > TV Shows > WWE Over The Limit > WWE Over The Limit 2011 > Sin Cara vs. Chavo Guerrero". WWE. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- Kerin, Ben (2011-05-20). "WWE SmacoDown Results (5/20)". Wrestling News Source. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- LOP (2011-05-18). "WWE Smackdown Taping Results for 5/20 from Corpus Christi, Texas". Lords of Pain. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- Caldwell, James (2011-05-22). "Caldwell's WWE Over the Limit PPV Results 5/22: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - Cena vs. Miz I Quit, Orton vs. Christian, Cole vs. Lawler". PWTorch. Retrieved 2011-06-19.
- "WWE News: Over the Limit dark match result from Seattle - cody rhodes wrestles in seattle". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-05-22.