- This article is about the region in South Africa. For other meanings, see Overberg (disambiguation)
Overberg is a region in South Africa to the east of Cape Town beyond the Hottentots-Holland mountains. It lies along the Western Cape Province's south coast between the Cape Peninsula and the region known as the Garden Route in the east. The boundaries of the Overberg are the Hottentots-Holland mountains in the West; the Riviersonderend Mountains, part of the Cape Fold Belt, in the North; the Atlantic and Indian Oceans in the South and the Breede River in the East.
The area has always been considered as the breadbasket of the Cape and is largely given to grain farming — mainly wheat. The wheat fields are a major breeding ground for South Africa's national bird, the Blue Crane. Another important food farmed in the Overberg is fruit with the Elgin Valley being the second largest supplier of fruit in South Africa.
Nestled in the Overberg, one can find the Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve (recognised and registered with UNESCO) populated with a large diversity of flowering plants not found anywhere else in the fynbos biome.
The major towns are Hermanus, Caledon, Bredasdorp and Swellendam and the region includes Cape Agulhas, the southernmost point of Africa. The landscape is dominated by gently to moderately undulating hills enclosed by mountains and the ocean.
- Swellendam, Western Cape once the capital of the Overberg.
- Struisbaai, Western Cape
- Overberg District Municipality
- Overberg Test Range (rocket launch site)
- List of towns in the Overberg
- Google Earth view of the Overberg Region
- Maps of Overberg Region, Towns and Trails
- Map of Overberg region
- The Overberg
- Overberg South Africa
- Electronic Gateway to the Overberg
- Overberg Business Directory
- Comprehensive Overberg information
- Information and Property Portal for Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Rooi-Els in the coastal Overberg