Overkill (Motörhead song)
|Single by Motörhead|
|from the album Overkill|
|B-side||Too Late Too Late|
|Released||10 March 1979|
|Recorded||Dec 1978 – Jan 1979
Sound Development Studios
|Genre||Heavy metal, speed metal, hard rock|
|Motörhead singles chronology|
"Overkill" is a song by the band Motörhead. It was released in 7" and 12" vinyl pressings in 1979. It is backed with B-side "Too Late Too Late" which appears on the CD re-issues of the Overkill album. Early copies came with a free "Overkill" badge. The single reached number 39 on the UK Singles Chart.
On 9 March 1979 the band played this song on the BBC TV show Top of the Pops to support the release of the single. The song is a live favorite and is frequently featured at Motörhead concerts, often in an extended version.
The artwork on the sleeve was created by Joe Petagno, based on his design for the album's cover.
Single track listing
- "Overkill" (Eddie Clarke, Ian Kilmister, Phil Taylor) – 3:16
- "Too Late Too Late" (Kilmister, Clarke, Taylor) – 3:24
- "Fast" Eddie Clarke – Guitars, vocals
- Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor – Drums
- Lemmy (Ian Kilmister) – Bass, lead vocals
- Photo – Allan Ballard
|Song by Metallica from the album Garage Inc.|
|Released||24 November 1998|
|Recorded||May 1995 – February 1996|
|Garage Inc. track listing|
In 1995, during the recording of the album Load, "Overkill", "Damage Case", "Stone Dead Forever" and "Too Late Too Late" were covered by Metallica, as a birthday gift for Lemmy, and released in 1996 on their "Hero of the Day" single. The single was released as a two-CD single; "Overkill" is the second track on the first CD single, and was also used on the second disc of their 1998 cover album Garage Inc.. The single reached No. 60 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and No. 1 on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks, and No. 17 on the UK Singles Chart. Some of the songs were played live on a brief tour along with other tracks from Garage Inc. in 1998 which concluded at the Roseland Ballroom in New York City. The songs would finally be played again during the 2009 World Magnetic Tour.
In 2008, German heavy metal band Grave Digger included a cover version of the song on their EP Pray.
- Burridge, Alan Illustrated Collector's Guide to Motörhead Published: 1995, Collector's Guide Publishing ISBN 0-9695736-2-6.
- "Song: Overkill". Second Hand Songs sub-entry. Retrieved 2007-06-26.
- "Song: METALLICA, MEGADETH, ANTHRAX, SLAYER Perform 'Overkill' At 'Big Four' Show In NYC (Video)". Retrieved 2011-09-15.