Owain Tudur Jones
|Full name||Owain Tudur Jones|
|Date of birth||15 October 1984|
|Place of birth||Bangor, Wales|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
|2009||→ Swindon Town (loan)||11||(1)|
|2010||→ Yeovil Town (loan)||6||(1)|
|2010||→ Yeovil Town (loan)||14||(1)|
|2011||→ Brentford (loan)||6||(0)|
|2011–2013||Inverness Caledonian Thistle||48||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 9 September 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Owain Tudur Jones (born 15 October 1984) is a Welsh footballer who plays as a defensive midfielder for Scottish Premiership club Hibernian and the Wales national football team. He has previously played for Porthmadog, Bangor City, Swansea City, Swindon Town, Norwich City, Yeovil Town, Brentford and Inverness Caledonian Thistle.
Born in Bangor, Gwynedd, Jones joined Bangor City from Cymru Alliance club Porthmadog during the summer of 2001. In four seasons, Jones was in the Citizens' team that lost the 2002 Welsh Cup Final to Barry Town at Park Avenue, Aberystwyth. He also played in the UEFA Intertoto Cup in June 2002 against Romanian side Gloria Bistriţa.
He signed for Swansea City from Bangor City for a fee of £5,000 prior to the 2005–06 season after a successful trial period. He was offered a new two-year contract with Swansea in October, which he signed in November. During his first full season as a professional he made 21 league appearances, scoring three goals. He also made his debut for the Welsh Under-21 side and at the end of the season also received a call up to the full international squad.
After spending the second half of the 2008–09 season on loan at Swindon Town, he joined League One team Norwich City on a three-year contract on 16 June 2009. Due to Swansea City having a one-year option on Jones' contract, the fee of £250,000 was agreed between the two clubs – said to include add-ons dependent upon both the club's and Jones' future success.
Jones signed for Norwich City in 2009 for a fee of £250,000, he made his debut in the 7–1 defeat to Colchester on the opening day of the season. He scored his first goal for Norwich in a defeat at Brentford on 18 August 2009. He joined Yeovil Town on a month's loan on 27 January 2010.
Once his loan at Yeovil Town had expired, the 25-year-old began training with Plymouth Argyle from 1 August 2010. The following day he made his debut against amateur side Saltash United. Jones scored the third goal for Argyle in their 8–0 thrashing. However, it was later announced that completion of the loan signing had stalled.
Tudur Jones completed a 1 month loan deal to Yeovil Town on 27 August 2010, which was confirmed by Paul Lambert on the club official site. This was his second loan spell at the club since he signed for Norwich. His loan spell was extended by a month on 22 October 2010.
After returning from his 3 month loan spell at Yeovil, Tudur Jones made a return to the Norwich City bench in the 2–1 away win over Derby County, even making a late substitute appearance coming on for Henri Lansbury. On 21 January 2011 Tudur Jones joined Brentford on a months loan.
Inverness Caledonian Thistle
On 28 July it was announced that Tudur Jones had signed for Inverness Caledonian Thistle on a one-year deal. Inverness manager Terry Butcher was excited about the midfield presence the Welsh international could bring to the team. He made his debut in a 1–0 home loss to Hibs. Tudur Jones suffered a knee cartilage injury in August 2011, requiring surgery. He missed six months of the 2011–12 Scottish Premier League season due to the injury, but agreed a new contract with Inverness in June 2012.
- As of 9 September 2013
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Other[note 1]||Total|
Jones represented Wales four times at Under-19 level and made three appearances at Under-21 level. He made his international debut for Wales in a 2–0 win against Luxembourg on 26 March 2008. Jones was recalled to the Wales squad in October 2013, after 10 players withdrew due to injury.
- "Search 1984 to 2006 – Birth, Marriage and Death indexes". Findmypast.com. Retrieved 2009-06-16.
- "Tudur Jones given year Swans deal". BBC Sport. 2005-07-30. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- "Swansea trio open contract talks". BBC Sport. 2005-10-25. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- "Cup exit a wake-up call – Jackett". BBC Sport. 2005-11-06. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- "Tudur Jones seals Norwich switch". BBC Sport. 2009-06-16. Retrieved 2009-06-16.
- "Brentford 2 – 1 Norwich". BBC Sport. 18 August 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- "Yeovil Town sign Norwich's Owain Tudur Jones on loan". BBC Sport. 2010-01-27. Retrieved 2010-01-27.
- "Owain In". Plymouth Argyle Official Site. 2010-08-03. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- "Inverness land Owain Tudur Jones from Norwich". BBC Sport (BBC). 28 July 2011.
- "Caley Thistle's Owain Tudur Jones faces surgery". BBC Sport (BBC). 17 August 2011. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Owain Tudur Jones agrees new Inverness deal". BBC Sport (BBC). 25 June 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Hibs sign Tudur Jones". Hibernian FC website (Hibernian FC). 31 May 2013. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- Owain Tudur Jones career stats at Soccerbase
- Dulin, David (26 March 2008). "Luxembourg 0–2 Wales". BBC Sport. BBC. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- "Wales boss Chris Coleman set for James Collins peace talks". BBC Sport. BBC. Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- Owain Tudur Jones profile at the Norwich City website
- Owain Tudur Jones Welsh Premier Stats
- Owain Tudur Jones career stats at Soccerbase
- Owain Tudur Jones profile at the Football Association of Wales website