Marecic with the Cleveland Browns in the 2012 NFL season
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||October 4, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Agoura Hills, California|
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||248 lb (112 kg)|
|NFL draft:||2011 – 4th round – 124th pick|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Yards per carry:||2.0|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Marecic moved with his family around the United States following his father's career as an IT executive. After New Jersey and Boston, where he played Pop Warner for the Westford/Littleton Lions, the Marecics moved to the Los Angeles area, where Owen played quarterback for a Pop Warner football team in Agoura Hills coached by former NFL player Clay Matthews. One of his Pop Warner teammates was the coach's son, current Philadelphia Eagles linebacker Casey Matthews. The Marecics moved to Tigard, Oregon when Owen was a sophomore in high school where he enrolled at Jesuit High School. Marecic played fullback and linebacker for Jesuit, helping the team to Oregon state football titles his junior and senior years.
Marecic was recruited to Army, Yale, and Stanford, eventually opting to attend Stanford. In his first three seasons with the Cardinal, Marecic was used primarily as a fullback, blocking for Toby Gerhart. He was an excellent blocking fullback, and seldom carried the ball. In his junior year Marecic was brought in as an inside linebacker in short yardage situations. In his senior season of 2010, Marecic's part-time linebacker assignment became full-time. He was the only player in the Football Bowl Subdivision to start on both offense (at fullback) and defense (at inside linebacker). In the fourth game of the season against Notre Dame, Marecic scored a pair of touchdowns within 13 seconds of one another, first as a fullback on a short dive play, then 13 seconds later making an interception from his inside linebacker position, running it back for a score. In doing so he became the first player to score touchdowns on both offense and defense in the same game since Eric Weddle in 2006.
2011 NFL Draft
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 0½ in||248 lb||4.73 s||1.68 s||2.65 s||4.50 s||7.10 s||32 in||8 ft 11 in||22 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine.|
On April 30, 2011 Marecic was selected in the 4th round by the Cleveland Browns with the 124th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. He was projected to play at fullback rather than linebacker. The Browns were reportedly impressed with his work ethic and approach to the game.
San Francisco 49ers
On September 17, 2013, the 49ers signed Marecic to a one-year contract. Marecic played at Stanford under current 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh. He was released on October 1, 2013 without playing in a NFL game. According to the 49ers, Marecic decided not to continue playing in the NFL.
After leaving football, Marecic re-enrolled at San Francisco State University to finish pre-med requirements and is working at a medical research lab at Stanford, in preparation for medical school. As a researcher, he has contributed to two published articles in the Journal of Visualized Experiments.
- Anderson, Kelli (September 27, 2010). "The perfect player". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved October 1, 2010.
- Hunt, John (September 29, 2010). "Oregon football: Stanford's Owen Marecic and his former teammate, Casey Matthews". The Oregonian. Retrieved October 1, 2010.
- Bellamy, Ron (September 30, 2010). "College football: Stanford’s true warrior". The Register-Guard. Retrieved October 1, 2010.
- "Owen Marecic achieves rare feat in Stanford's win". Portland Tribune. September 26, 2010. Retrieved October 4, 2010.
- "Stanford Cardinal vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish – Box Score – September 25, 2010". ESPN.com. September 25, 2010. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- Stanford fullback/linebacker "Owen Marecic wins first Paul Hornung Award". The Courier-Journal. January 10, 2011.
- Pro Scout Draft.com
- Murtaugh, Brian (2011-07-03). "Is Owen Marecic Ready to Replace Lawrence Vickers in 2011". Bleacher Report.
- Maiocco, Matt (September 17, 2013). "49ers sign Marecic". CSN Bay Area. Retrieved September 17, 2013.