Owens Community College
|Owens Community College|
|Motto||We believe in serving our students and our communities|
|President||Dr. Mike Bower|
|Location||Toledo, OH, USA|
|Nickname||Express (Jaguar is the mascot)|
Owens State Community College is a comprehensive community college with campuses in Toledo and Findlay, Ohio, United States. Owens was founded in 1965 in Toledo, and was chartered in 1967. The Findlay campus was opened in 1983. The college was named for Michael J. Owens, a well known glass entrepreneur in the early 20th century.
The Owens State Community College Toledo-area campus covers more than 280 acres (1.1 km2) and is located near Toledo, Ohio. The Findlay-area campus is located in Findlay, Ohio and covers more than 60 acres (240,000 m2). The new campus for Findlay was completed in fall of 2005. There is also an Arrowhead Park campus which is located in Maumee.
Owens Community College is named after Michael J. Owens, a Toledo inventor who changed the glass industry forever by mechanizing bottle blowing in 1903. His Owens Bottle Machine introduced automation to glassmaking, in the process eliminating child labor and revolutionizing the glass industry, which had changed little in 2,000 years. His work made it possible for thousands of jobs to be created and changed Toledo, now referred to as the Glass City, and the community.
 Center for Emergency Preparedness
In April 2007, Owens opened the new Center for Emergency Preparedness. This $20.5 million center will serve as a state, regional and national education and resource center for public safety and emergency training. The 110-acre (0.45 km2) facility features full-size, state-of-the-art training props that were developed with emphasis on realism and safety, including a Boeing 727, burn simulators, dive and rescue pond and mock city. Training props will be used to train students and area first responders on procedures for emergency situations and recovery maneuvers. The center has the nation’s most advanced fiber-optic network for research and education. It will allow fire, police, emergency responders and other emergency personnel to conduct exercises via distance learning on a variety of simulated terror incidents, emergency hazards and natural disasters.
The college’s community outreach includes recruiting employees from more than 500 business organizations to serve on advisory committees responsible for shaping and refining academic curricula.
In 2006, Owens Community College and Lourdes College formulated a unique partnership program called 60/60, which allows allied health students at Owens to also earn a baccalaureate degree at Lourdes.
The college continued to add off-campus educational sites for students. In December 2006, the college and Toledo Public Schools signed an agreement allowing the college to offer classes at the new Rogers High School. The college also partnered with thePutnam County Educational Service Center and began holding classes at its Skilled Learning Center.
The college has longstanding off-campus educational partnerships with Arcadia High School in Arcadia, Liberty Benton High School in Findlay, Riverdale High School in Mt. Blanchard, Springfield High School in Holland and Swanton High School in Swanton.
Owens also offers Post Secondary Enrollment Options to area high school students. Qualified students have the opportunity to take classes at Owens that may count for both high school and college credit while they are still in high school. In many cases, the cost of tuition, books and other fees can be paid for by the state of Ohio.
 First-Year Experience Program
Owens Community College received a $1.64 million federal grant to create a first-year experience program that will include mentoring and tutoring for freshman students. This initiative's focus is to help students succeed in their educational pursuits by providing an environment where they feel a part of the campus community from the very start of their college experience.
 Men's sports
 Women's sports
 Clubs and organizations
- American Red Cross
- Black Student Union
- Camera Work Photo Club
- Chinese as a Foreign Language Club
- Colleges Against Cancer
- Commercial Arts Club
- Cross Country & Track Club
- Democratic Party Club
- Gamers United
- Gay Straight Alliance
- Habitat for Humanity
- Hands On American Sign Language Club
- Health Information Technology Student Association (HITSA)
- Honor Societies
- International Student Union
- Landscape and Turf Crew
- Latino Student Union
- Music Club
- OCC Catholic Student Association
- OCC Poet's Society: Broken Silence
- OH! ART
- Owens (Visual) Arts Club
- Owens Anime Convention
- Owens Community College Computer Club
- Owens Dance Express
- Owens Environmental Club (OEC)
- Owens Hospitality and Culinary Club]
- Owens Japanese Club
- Owens Outlook Student Newspaper
- Owens Production Club
- Owens Student Massage Therapy Club
- Owens Students Involved in Dietetics (OSID)
- Owens Trivia Club
- Owens XPRESS Winterguard
- Republican Party Club
- Sailing Club
- Shotokan Karate Club
- Ski Club
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME)
- Student American Dental Hygienists Association (SADHA)
- Student Government
- Student Nurse's Association (Findlay Campus)
- Student Nurse's Association (Toledo Campus)
- Student Occupational Therapy Assistant Association
- Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) (Findlay Campus)
- Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) (Toledo Campus)
- Students Involved
- Surgical Technology Club
- Toastmasters International
- Tomorrow's Imagers
- Wrestling Club
 Honor societies
- Alpha Mu Gamma (Nu Kappa Chapter)
- Chi Alpha Epsilon
- Chi Alpha Ministries
- Epsilon Pi Tau
- Kappa Beta Delta (Pi Chapter)
- Phi Theta Kappa (Alpha Omega Pi Chapter) Toledo-Area Campus
- Phi Theta Kappa (Beta Xi Chi Chapter) Findlay-Area Campus
- Psi Beta - the national honor society in psychology for two year colleges
- Sigma Kappa Delta (Theta Alpha Chapter)
- Tau Alpha Pi
- "Owens Community College Financials". Owens Community College Foundation. Retrieved 12 May 2011.
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2006)|