The Oxbow Dam
|Elevation||1,982 ft (604 m)|
|Time zone||Mountain (PST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|Area code(s)||541 and 458|
|GNIS feature ID||1167700|
Oxbow is an unincorporated community in Baker County, Oregon, United States. Oxbow is located on Oregon Route 86 next to the Snake River near the Oxbow Dam on the Oregon-Idaho border, about 17 miles northeast of Halfway. Oxbow is just south of the site of the former mining town of Copperfield. Although it is unincorporated, Oxbow has a post office with a ZIP code of 97840.
There was once a station named Oxbow on a portion the Oregon Short Line Railroad now inundated by Oxbow Reservoir. It was named for The Oxbow, a U-shaped bend in the Snake River named for the agricultural implement. The present-day community of Oxbow was established in the early 1960s near the former site of Copperfield during the building of the Oxbow Dam by the Idaho Power Company. Oxbow post office was established on May 1, 1965 after moving the office from Homestead six miles to the north. At one time, Oxbow had a school.
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F (22 °C). According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Oxbow has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated "Csb" on climate maps.
- "Oxbow". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. May 22, 1986. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- Oregon Atlas & Gazetteer (7th ed.). Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. 2008. pp. 79, 88. ISBN 0-89933-347-8.
- "ZIP Code Lookup". United States Postal Service. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; McArthur, Lewis L. (2003) [First published 1928]. Oregon Geographic Names (7th ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. pp. 230, 476, 735. ISBN 9780875952772. OCLC 53075956.
- "Oxbow (historical)". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. April 1, 1993. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- "The Oxbow". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- "Oxbow School (historical)". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- Climate Summary for Oxbow, Oregon
- Images of Oxbow from Flickr
|This Baker County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|