Oxford Parkway railway station
The station under construction in April 2015
|Managed by||Chiltern Railways|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Key dates||Opening September 2015 (planned)|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|UK Railways portal|
The station is between Kidlington and Oxford beside an existing park-and-ride site. It will serve Kidlington, north Oxford and nearby villages, and attract park-and-ride traffic from the busy A34, A40 and A44 roads. The existing car park will be enlarged for this purpose.
The station is part of Project Evergreen 3, funded and managed by Chiltern Railways. It will be served every half-hour by trains between London Marylebone and Oxford. Chiltern Railways plans to open the station in Summer 2015 for trains towards Bicester and London, with services towards Oxford beginning in Spring 2016. The journey time to London will be about an hour.
The station is north-east of the site of the former Oxford Road Halt, which was opened in 1905 and closed in 1926. In 1942 a Government grain silo was built next to the site as part of a Second World War network to concentrate scarce food and distribute it by rail. It was in use until the late 1980s. In October 2013 Chiltern Railways had it demolished as part of site preparation for the new station and car park.
On 20 September 2013 the station name was announced as "Oxford Parkway". The previous widely publicised planned name had been "Water Eaton Parkway".
Oxford Parkway will have a car park with 815 standard spaces, plus 41 spaces for passengers with reduced mobility. The station will also have parking for 150 pedal cycles and 30 motorcycles. Formerly only 100 cycle spaces were to be built, but this was criticised by local campaigners and has now been increased.
Building of the station began in late October 2014. It is due to enter service in September 2015.
|Railways around Oxford|
|Preceding station||Future services||Following station|
London Marylebone — Oxford
Reading — Bedford
- "New Oxford - London rail link given the go-head". Chiltern Railways. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Bicester – Oxford". Chiltern Railways.[dead link]
- "Prospectus" (PDF). East West Rail Consortium. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- Memory Lane (21 October 2013). "a look back at the history of the Water Eaton grain silo as wartime facility nears its end". Oxford Mail (Newsquest). Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Fantato, Damian (2 November 2013). "Water Eaton grain silo is demolished". Oxford Mail (Newsquest). Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Chiltern Railways names new Oxfordshire station Oxford Parkway" (Press release). Chiltern Railways. 20 September 2013. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- Personal email from a site engineer
- "Better provision for cyclists at the new Oxford Parkway Station". Layla Moran & the Local Lib Dem Team. Oxford West and Abingdon Liberal Democrats. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oxford Parkway railway station.|