Oxford Parkway railway station
|This article is outdated. (September 2014)|
|Station site in September 2009|
|Managed by||Chiltern Railways|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Key dates||Opening 2015 (planned)|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|UK Railways portal|
Oxford Parkway railway station is a planned railway station at Water Eaton, Oxfordshire, on the railway line between Oxford and Islip. The station will be between Kidlington and Oxford next to an existing park-and-ride site. It will serve Kidlington, north Oxford and nearby villages, and attract park-and-ride traffic from the busy A34, A40 and A44 roads. The existing car park will be enlarged for this purpose.
The station is part of Project Evergreen 3, funded and managed by Chiltern Railways. It will be served every half-hour by trains between London Marylebone and Oxford. Chiltern Railways plans to open the station in Summer 2015 for trains towards Bicester and London, with services towards Oxford commencing in Spring 2016. The journey time to London will be about an hour.
The station will be to the north-east of the site of the former Oxford Road Halt, which was opened in 1905 and closed in 1926. In 1942 a Government grain silo was built next to the site as part of a Second World War network to concentrate scarce food and distribute it by rail. It was in operation until the late 1980s. In October 2013 Chiltern Railways had it demolished as part of site preparation for the new station and car park.
On 20 September 2013 the station name was announced as "Oxford Parkway". The previous widely-publicised planned name had been "Water Eaton Parkway".
|Railways around Oxford|
|Preceding station||Future services||Following station|
London Marylebone — Oxford
Reading — Bedford
- "New Oxford - London rail link given the go-head". Chiltern Railways. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Prospectus". East West Rail Consortium. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- Memory Lane (21 October 2013). "a look back at the history of the Water Eaton grain silo as wartime facility nears its end". Oxford Mail (Newsquest). Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Fantato, Damian (2 November 2013). "Water Eaton grain silo is demolished". Oxford Mail (Newsquest). Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Chiltern Railways names new Oxfordshire station Oxford Parkway" (Press release). Chiltern Railways. 20 September 2013. Retrieved 20 September 2013.