Oxford West and Abingdon (UK Parliament constituency)
|Oxford West and Abingdon|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Oxford West and Abingdon in Oxfordshire.
Location of Oxfordshire within England.
|Electorate||78,404 (December 2014)|
|Major settlements||Abingdon, Kidlington, Oxford (5 wards), Radley|
|Member of parliament||Nicola Blackwood (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Oxford, Abingdon|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
The former Conservative Minister John Patten, MP for Oxford from 1979, won the West seat on its creation and remained the MP until he retired in 1997 when the seat was gained by a Liberal Democrat, Dr Evan Harris, who held the seat until the 2010 General Election, when it was gained by Conservative MP Nicola Blackwood in the one of the most marginal results of that election.
The constituency stretches from the town of Abingdon, the village of Kidlington, and the western and northern parts of the city of Oxford, as well as a minority of the colleges of the University of Oxford. At the end of 2010 unemployment was the fifth lowest of the 84 South East constituencies (measure used: claimant count), at 1.2% compared to a mean of 2.45%.
1983-1997: The City of Oxford wards of Central, Cherwell, North, South, West, and Wolvercote; and the District of Vale of White Horse wards of Abbey, Caldecott, Cumnor, Fitzharris, Hinksey, Kennington, Northcourt, Ock, Radley, St Helen Without, and Sunningwell and Wootton.
1997-2010: The City of Oxford wards of Central, Cherwell, North, West, and Wolvercote; the District of Vale of White Horse wards of Abbey, Caldecott, Cumnor, Fitzharris, Hinksey, Kennington, Northcourt, Ock, Radley, St Helen Without, and Sunningwell and Wootton; and the District of Cherwell wards of Gosford, North West Kidlington, and South East Kidlington.
2010-present: The City of Oxford wards of Jericho and Osney, North, St Margaret’s, Summertown, and Wolvercote; the District of Vale of White Horse wards of Abingdon Abbey and Barton, Abingdon Caldecott, Abingdon Dunmore, Abingdon Fitzharris, Abingdon Northcourt, Abingdon Ock Meadow, Abingdon Peachcroft, Appleton and Cumnor, Kennington and South Hinksey, North Hinksey and Wytham, Radley, and Sunningwell and Wootton; and the District of Cherwell wards of Kidlington North, Kidlington South, and Yarnton, Gosford and Water Eaton.
Members of Parliament
|1997||Evan Leslie Harris||Liberal Democrat|
|2010||Nicola Claire Blackwood||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Oxford West and Abingdon|
|Conservative||Nicola Claire Blackwood||26,153||45.7||+3.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Layla Michelle Moran||16,571||28.9||−13.1|
|Labour||Sally Louise Copley||7,274||12.7||+2.1|
|National Health Action||Helen Rachel Salisbury||723||1.3|
|Socialist (GB)||Mike Foster ||66||0.1|
|General Election 2010: Oxford West and Abingdon|
|Conservative||Nicola Claire Blackwood||23,906||42.3||+9.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Evan Leslie Harris||23,730||42.0||−4.1|
|Animal Protection||Keith Mann||143||0.3||-|
|Conservative gain from Liberal Democrat||Swing||6.9|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Oxford West and Abingdon|
|Liberal Democrat||Evan Leslie Harris||24,336||46.3||−1.5|
|Liberal Democrat hold||Swing||−1.6|
|General Election 2001: Oxford West and Abingdon|
|Liberal Democrat||Evan Leslie Harris||24,670||47.8||+4.9|
|Conservative||Edmund St. John Matts||15,485||30.0||−2.6|
|Labour||Miss Gillian P. Kirk||9,114||17.7||−2.5|
|Green||Michael Edward Woodin||1,423||2.8||+1.6|
|UKIP||Marcus John Andrew Watney||451||0.9||+0.5|
|Independent||Mrs. Sigrid Brigitta Shreeve||332||0.6||N/A|
|Extinction Club||Robert Patrick Ingram Twigger||93||0.2||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat hold||Swing||+3.8|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Oxford West and Abingdon|
|Liberal Democrat||Evan Leslie Harris||26,268||42.9||+7.1|
|Conservative||Laurence M. Harris||19,983||32.7||−13.6|
|Labour||Miss Susan W. Brown||12,361||20.2||+4.1|
|Referendum Party||Mrs. Gillian R. Eustace||1,258||2.1||N/A|
|Green||Michael Edward Woodin||691||1.1||−0.1|
|UKIP||Rodney G. Buckton||258||0.4||N/A|
|ProLife Alliance||Mrs. Linda J. Hodge||238||0.4||N/A|
|Natural Law||Anne Marie Wilson||91||0.1||+0.0|
|Local Government||John A. Rose||48||0.1||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat gain from Conservative||Swing||+10.4|
|General Election 1992: Oxford West and Abingdon|
|Conservative||John Haggitt Charles Patten||25,163||45.4||−1.0|
|Liberal Democrat||Sir William Howard Goodhart||21,624||39.0||+1.6|
|Green||Michael Edward Woodin||660||1.2||−0.1|
|Liberal||Roger E. Jenking||194||0.3||N/A|
|Anti-Federalist League||Miss Susan B. Nelson||98||0.2||N/A|
|Natural Law||Geoffrey A. Wells||75||0.1||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: Oxford West and Abingdon|
|Conservative||John Haggitt Charles Patten||25,171||46.4||−1.3|
|Social Democratic||Christopher Murray Paul Huhne||20,293||37.4||+4.1|
|Labour||John Gordon Power||8,108||14.9||−2.0|
|Green||Donald Robert Smith||695||1.3||+0.2|
|General Election 1983: Oxford West and Abingdon|
|Conservative||John Haggitt Charles Patten||23,778||47.7||N/A|
|Social Democratic||David Evan Trant Luard||16,627||33.3||N/A|
|Monster Raving Loony||R.A. Jones||267||0.5||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Oxfordshire
- Opinion polling for the next United Kingdom general election in individual constituencies
- Oxford East
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2014 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 2 February 2015.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "O" [self-published source][better source needed]
- "UK Polling Report". ukpollingreport.co.uk.; "STATEMENT OF PERSONS NOMINATED AND NOTICE OF POLL: Election of a Member of Parliament for Oxford West and Abingdon constituency". Vale of White Horse District Council.
- "Candidates". Liberal Democrats.
- "The Labour Party". labour.org.uk.
- "Larry Sanders is the new candidate for Oxford West and Abingdon". Oxfordshire Green Party.; http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/30/bernie-larry-sanders-brothers-us-uk-politics
- Jessica Ormerod. "DR HELEN SALISBURY". NHA Party.
- "General Election - Campaign News". worldsocialism.org.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1997. Politics Resources. 1 May 1997. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- C. Rallings & M. Thrasher, The Media Guide to the New Parliamentary Constituencies, p.451 (Plymouth: LGC Elections Centre, 1995)
- The 1997 election result is calculated relative to the notional, not the actual, 1992 result.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- Election result, 2015 (BBC)
- Election result, 2010 (BBC)
- Election result, 2005 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997–2001 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997–2001 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1983–1997 (Election Demon)