Oxygen (TV channel)
|Launched||February 2, 2000|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
|Slogan||Live Out Loud|
|Headquarters||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Dish Network||127 (SD)|
|Available on most cable systems||Check local listings for channels|
|AT&T U-verse||1368 (HD)
The privately held company Oxygen Media was founded in 1998 by former Nickelodeon executive Geraldine Laybourne, talk show host Oprah Winfrey and producers Marcy Carsey, Tom Werner and Caryn Mandabach (of Carsey-Werner fame). The company's cable network Oxygen launched on February 2, 2000.
TV studios were initially located at Battery Park City near the World Trade Center. It was knocked off the air on September 11, 2001; the Time Warner all-news cable television channel NY1 was broadcast to all Oxygen subscribers across the country until the studio reopened within a week after the attack.
The channel originally began as an interactive service focusing on original programming with some reruns (such as Kate & Allie), and featured a black bar at the bottom of the screen (referred to as "the stripe" it occupied the bottom 12% of the screen) which would show various information (the interactive part involved the channel's website); the technique was cloned by Spike's precursor The New TNN. Today, the stripe has long been dropped, and the channel focuses chiefly on reality shows, reruns, and movies, and airs week-after repeats of The Tyra Banks Show and is directed towards women. The yoga/meditation/exercise program "Inhale" was the last inaugural Oxygen program on air into the channel's NBC Universal era, albeit in repeats. It was canceled in 2010.
Campus Ladies, Bliss, Oprah After the Show, Talk Sex with Sue Johanson, The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency, Snapped, Girls Behaving Badly and The Bad Girls Club, a reality series, are some of the signature shows on the channel. Geraldine Laybourne was the service's founder, chairman, and CEO, staying with the channel until the NBCU sale. Competitors to the channel include Lifetime (incidentally, its parent company is 15% owned by Oxygen's parent company) and WE tv. Oxygen has been available on DirecTV for many years, and arrived on Dish Network in early 2006 during that provider's carriage conflict with Lifetime.
On October 9, 2007, NBCUniversal announced it would be purchasing Oxygen for $925 million. The sale was completed on November 20, 2007. NBC Universal's cable division announced at an industry upfront presentation on April 23, 2008 that the channel would see a rebranding and new logo on June 17, 2008, and in the months since the sale the Oh! heading was dropped from the channel's visual branding. The logo premiered a week early on June 8, 2008.
For the 2008 Summer Olympics, Oxygen aired events and programming weeknights relating to gymnastics, equestrian, and synchronized swimming. This was merely the second time Oxygen had carried sports, as before 2005, the channel carried a limited schedule of regular season WNBA games produced by NBA TV.
As of late 2008, the channel is available in 74 million American households.
On April 5, 2010, Oxygen launched its second night of original programming with the fifth season premiere of Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood.
On January 28, 2011, Oxygen became part of Comcast as part of the buyout agreement by Comcast of NBC Universal from GE.
Current Original programming 
- Best Ink (Airing Season 2)
- Find Me My Man (Airing Season 1)
- Love Games: Bad Girls Need Love Too (Filming Season 5)
- Snapped (Airing Season 12)
- The Bad Girls Club (Airing Season 10)
- The Face (Finished Season 1)
- I'm Having Their Baby (Season 2 Coming Soon)
- Snapped: Killer Couples
Upcoming Original programming 
- Hollywood Unzipped: Stylist Wars
- Fat Girl Revenge
- Too Young to Marry?
- Bad Girls All-Star Battle (premieres May 21, 2013)
Past Original programs 
- Addicted to Beauty
- All About Aubrey
- Bad Girls Road Trip
- Breaking Up with Shannen Doherty
- Campus Ladies
- Deion & Pilar: Prime Time Love
- Fight Girls
- Hair Battle Spectacular
- House of Glam
- Inhale Yoga with Steve Ross
- Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency
- Jersey Couture
- Mo'Nique's Fat Chance
- Oprah After the Show
- Suburban Shootout
- Tanisha Gets Married'
- The Glee Project
- The Naughty Kitchen with Chef Blythe Beck
- The Next Big Thing: NY
- The World According to Paris
- Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood
- Tori & Dean: sTORIbook Weddings
Syndicated programming 
- A Different World
- America's Got Talent
- America's Next Top Model
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Burn Notice
- Grace Under Fire (2001-2006)
- House M.D
- Law and Order: Criminal Intent
- Living Single
- Mad About You
- Ned & Stacey
- Roseanne (2005–present)
- Xena: Warrior Princess (199?-2006)
- The Tyra Banks Show
Upcoming Syndicated programming 
Oxygen HD 
Oxygen HD is a high definition simulcast of Oxygen that launched in March 2011. It is currently available on Verizon Fios, AT&T U-verse and on Time Warner Cable systems in New York, New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Wisconsin.
- Oxygen Media Transmits New York One Signal to Its National Subscribers - New York Business Wire - September 13, 2001
- Michael Learmonth (October 10, 2007). "NBC U Sucks in Oxygen". Daily Variety. p. 1.
- "Show Tracker". The Los Angeles Times. April 23, 2008.
- "Oxygen rebrand caters to 'Generation O'".[dead link]
- "Comcast Eats GE, NBC Owned By Cable Provider". Retrieved 23 November 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (January 7, 2013). "Oxygen Picks Up 'Fat Girl Revenge,' 'Find Me My Man,' & 'Too Young To Marry?'". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- Kondology, Amanda (February 28, 2013). "Oxygen Premieres 'Find Me My Man' April 2 at 9PM". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (February 20, 2013). "New True Crime Series 'Snapped: Killer Couples' to Premiere Sunday, March 10 on Oxygen". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- Kondology, Amanda (March 13, 2013). "Oxygen Greenlights 'Bad Girls All-Star Battle' Hosted by Musician Ray J". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (April 15, 2013). "'Bad Girls All Star Battle' to Premiere Tuesday, May 21 on Oxygen". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved April 15, 2013.
Source: Nielsen Media Research, Most Current Data: Live + 7 through 11/30/08, blended with Live + Same Day through 12/14/08; individual day / telecast performance points based on Live + Same Day data for date and time of airing. Cable ranks : Most Current Data: Live + 7 through 11/30/08, blended with Live + Same Day through 12/14/08 vs. Live+7 Data, 01/01/07 - 12/30/07; includes ad supported cable entertainment channels, and excludes non-ad supported channels (e.g., pay cable, Disney), sports, news channels and channels that air in less than 50% of the daypart, AA(000).
Source, Oxygen.com: Page Views and Monthly Unique Visitors - Insight XE before May '08, Omniture SiteCatalyst May'08 forward; Video Streams - FeedRoom solely before June '08, FeedRoom and Omniture SiteCatalyst jointly June '08 forward. 2008 totals are 1/1-12/15/08; 2007 totals are 1/1-12/31/07 | 2008 averages are Jan '08 - Nov '08; 2007 totals are Jan '07 - Dec '07.