|Genres||Alternative rock, neo-psychedelia|
(One-off reunion: 2006)
|Associated acts||Phish, Primus, The Police|
|Past members||Stewart Copeland
Oysterhead is an alternative rock supergroup featuring bassist Les Claypool of Primus, guitarist Trey Anastasio of Phish and drummer Stewart Copeland of The Police, with both Claypool and Anastasio providing vocals. The style and sound of the band is a collaborative eclectic mix of bass-oriented funk metal.
In April 2000 Superfly Productions asked Claypool to assemble a band to perform during New Orleans Jazz Fest. Claypool contacted Anastasio and together they agreed on mutual hero, Copeland. Oysterhead was originally intended to be a singular live performance at New Orleans Saenger Theatre on May 4, 2000. The band compiled a set of almost entirely original material for the show, practicing at Muskegon's Frauenthal Theatre. Tickets were scalped for up to $2,000 each and in the audience were Francis Ford Coppola and Matt Groening.
The Grand Pecking Order
In 2001, Oysterhead officially reformed to record and release an album entitled The Grand Pecking Order, which featured nine new tracks in addition to four songs originally debuted in New Orleans. The release of this album was supported by a brief tour of North America, during which nearly every show was performed to a sold-out audience. The Oysterhead tour of Fall 2001 also saw the debut of the Matterhorn, a guitar played by Trey Anastasio featuring a full-size deer antler that Trey manipulated to make sounds similar to those of a theremin.
On November 5, 2001, the band performed the song "Oz Is Ever Floating" on Late Night with Conan O'Brien. After the 2001 tour, which had schedule changes due to the September 11 attacks, the trio went their separate ways.
Reformation at Bonnaroo
On June 16, 2006, Oysterhead reunited to perform a two-hour set at the Bonnaroo Music Festival. The band performed music from The Grand Pecking Order during the set. The band also made an appearance at Allgood music festival in Masontown, WV in July, 2006.
- The Grand Pecking Order (2001)
- Jon Wiederhorn Three Oysterheads Are Better Than One mtv.com, Oct 5 2001, Diakses 11 Februari 2009
- David Holmberg Palladium comes alive with Oysterhead’s unique blend dailybruin.ucla.edu, October 29, 2001, Diakses 11 Februari 2009
- Neva Chonin out of its shell: Oysterhead unites three very different musical visions to create a unique sound sfgate.com, October 24, 2001, Retrieved February 11, 2009
- Mike Powers Frogs & Oysters: A Les Claypool Interview jambase.com, 1/26/01, Retrieved January 26, 2008
- The Mockingbird Foundation (2004). The Phish Companion: A Guide to the Band and Their Music. Backbeat Books. p. 740. Retrieved 2010-06-29.
- "PT | Phish | News". Phantasytour.com. Retrieved 2011-07-06.