|Municipality of Belgium|
|• Mayor||Daniel Westrade (PS)|
|• Governing party/ies||PS, AC|
|• Total||60.56 km2 (23.38 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2013)|
|• Density||280/km2 (740/sq mi)|
Péruwelz is a Walloon municipality located in the Belgian province of Hainaut. On January 1, 2006, Péruwelz had a total population of 16,843. The total area is 60.56 km² which gives a population density of 278 inhabitants per km².
Péruwelz is pronounced [peʀwe] or [pɛʀwe]; in picard (the Western Hainaut's dialect), the city's name is "Piérwé", and is pronounced [pieʀwe] or [piɛʀwe]. To know more about the dialect and region, you can check the following articles' links (2 links) > 1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picard_language , 2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Hainaut .
This municipality is more specifically situated in Western Hainaut, also called Walloon Picardy. Péruwelz is also near France, near the cities of "Condé-sur-l'Escaut", "Vieux Condé", "Hergnies", and is near the forest of Bon-Secours where you can find the castle of (l')Hermitage.
Composition of the municipality
The current municipality of Péruwelz was formed in 1977 when the following ten municipalities were joined:
- I. Péruwelz
- II. Bon-Secours
- III. Roucourt
- IV. Bury (site of Bitremont Castle, or the Château de Bitremont)
- V. Braffe
- VI. Baugnies
- VII. Wasmes-Audemez-Briffoeil
- VIII. Brasménil
- IX. Wiers
- X. Callenelle
The municipality also includes these villages:
- (XI.) Briffœil
- (XII.) Audemez
- (XIII.) Ringies
- (XIV.) Ponange
Péruwelz has a number of natural springs:
- The Dubuisson-Copin's washing-place fountain is in the communal gardens created in 1912. This fountain is the busiest.
- De la Ferté Fountain
- Du Flassart fountain, on the little place since 1898.
- Jaunay-Clan fountain. Jaunay-Clan is the name of the commune paired with Péruwelz. This fountain is made of stones from Jaunay-Clan.
- Du Maréchal fountain. In the past named "Magrite fountain", "des Quatre-Cailloux fountain", and "des cailloux gris posés de chant fountain" until it was named "Du Maréchal fountain" in 1887 after its restoration.
- Tanchou fountain.
- De Verquesies fountain
Certain springs are not potable, tests are performed every day.
- Population per municipality on 1 January 2013 (XLS; 607.5 KB)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Péruwelz.|
|This Hainaut province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|