Military Police Corps (Ireland)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)|
|Military Police Corps
an Cór Póilíní Airm
|Active||1 October 1924|
|Role||Enforcement of military law|
1st Brigade Military Police Company - Cork
2nd Brigade Military Police Company - Dublin
Defence Force Training Centre Military Police Company - Kildare
Military Police Government Buildings Company - DFHQ/Dublin
The Military Police Corps (Irish: an Cór Póilíní Airm) is the corps of the Irish Army responsible for the provision of policing service personnel and providing a military police presence to forces while on exercise and deployment. Its tasks increase during wartime to include traffic control organisation and POW and refugee control. The Military Police are distinguished from other units by their wearing of a red beret.
The Military Police enjoy a close working relationship with the Garda Síochána, the civil police force of Ireland, at both national and local levels with the Gardaí providing specialist training to the Military Police in criminal investigation.
The Corps has three regular army companies, and one special purpose company:
- 1st Brigade Military Police Company
- 2nd Brigade Military Police Company
- Defence Force Training Centre Military Police Company
- Military Police Government Buildings Company
The two brigade companies provide general policing support to each of the army's territorial brigades. The DFTC company provides similar support to the Defence Force Training Centre.
The Air Corp and Naval Service now have Military Police Sections dressed in their own distinctive uniforms. As the Irish Army has now reduced to a 2 Brigade Structure the Military Police have also been reduced based in the 1st Southern and 2nd Northern Brigades.
Disbanded (Defense Forces Re-org 2012)
- 4th Brigade Military Police Company (2012)
- Military Police Section, Air Corps. Attached Irish Air Corps (2012)
- Military Police Section, Naval Service. Attached Irish Naval Service (2012)
- 31st Reserve Military Police Company (2012)
- 54th Reserve Military Police Company (2012)
- 62nd Reserve Military Police Company (2012)